Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the boat down to Topsail in mid May and need some advice as to what to fish for and where ?? ICW, Inlets and near shore in the Ocean is all an option.

Would like to target any of the following .....Sheepshead, Flounder, Reds, Grouper( any near shore?) amberjacks, Cobia.............. thanks for any ideas.

Anyone going to be in the area ? ..... maybe we can fish ..... I'll be there for a week.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
try the New below camp lejeune .. There is a Ramp and store there.. The water is not real deep but the Trout , Flounder and Redfish are in there... Been there 5 times and 5 times I did Great... typical baits jigs with gulp shrimp... Most any color.

If your looking for a Great Trip contact Ricky Kellum ( Google his name) He is a Great Fishing guide..

Have a Ball

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info ....... last year I went down for a week without the boat and a man at the tackle store said that it's not a long run to find some Gag Grouper, any idea if they catch 'em on the near shore reefs ???

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once you get out of the shallow NRI go due south until you get to 50' of water and start looking for small ledges and live bottoms. Gags are everywhere (1/person a day)
the boat might be docked in the South end of Topsail ....... does that inlet have decent fishing as well ??

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I will be down in Sept , I might haul the sea pro down there and do some offshore trolling for Dolphin.. That is if gas stays under $5 otherwise its paddle power.. How far do you have to run to get into them .. Any suggestions..

Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have no idea about offshore, I'm not running that far ...... how big do the Flounder get down there in your experiences ??
I see there is a bridge on the New River, wonder if it's worth live baiting ?? I'll be docked on the South end of the Island, so Topsail Inlet is closer, but I'll run to the New if it's worth it

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I caught a 24 incher about 4 years ago right at the bridge with a mullet on a carolina rig... They can get big there ... The inlet is small in comparison to most others and the flounder venture in there looking for a meal.. Its also ate up with shrimp just above the bridge... hit all the points early for trout and reds and always have a bottom rig out.. I cant wati till Sept.. Just got a 23ft SEA PTO WA.. hONESTLY I would rather paddle the new than go offshore but I am the entertainer for the week so it depends whats happenning offshore..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts