Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this on several fishing sites in the hope that it prevents someone from running aground and damaging their motors.

Last weekend a boat ran aground near Hacketts Pt. I don't know exactly where it happened, but have observed two new shoals in the vicinity. With my small, shallow draft boat, I have often run fairly close to shore coming from Whitehall Bay up to Sandy Point. However, the new shoals make that a risky proposition. That area has exhibited shallow water (2-4 ft for a long ways out from Hacketts Pt). The new shoals are far enough out that many boaters will not expect to see shallow water there (in fact, there is deeper water between the shoal and the shore)

Today I visited both shoals and marked waypoints. Here are the locations visually on a screen shot.

Ecoregion World Map Organism Atlas

The locations are:

location 011 - N 38 deg, 59.271'; W 76 deg, 25.047'. I think this is where the boat ran aground. Someone moved a temporary marker buoy there since my last visit through the area early last week. The shoal runs 100-200 yds to the southeast from where the buoy was located today and may have other side branches. At low water levels, you can see small waves breaking over the sand shoal of less than 1 ft depth.

Water Liquid Sky Fluid Lake

location 012 - N 38 deg, 59.935'; W 76 deg, 24.408'. I had not seen this one before. As we were headed from 011 back to Sandy Pt in full sunlight, I noticed a color change. I slowed and found this second shoal location.

As I idled around both locations, my lower unit bottomed out. I needed to tilt up the motor in order to get free (my boat draws only about 1.2 ft depth).

Note that these shoals are much closer to shore than the green can at Hacketts. Nevertheless they are far enough off the shoreline that boaters may feel comfortable motoring through the area.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
John,

Thanks for the heads up! I always scratch and sniff when in that shallow, but its good to know if something is there beforehand. Now if those shallow water perch will ever heat up in our neck of the woods...

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts