Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new shotgun for Deer Hunting. Would like to know what gun i should buy. any information would be great. Doug.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Three years ago I bought a NEF Ultra Slug 20 gauge. Mounted a Leupold 1 1/2 X 6. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Using Winchester surpremes I can shoot at 1 1/2" at 100 yards and the sabot rounds knock the heck out of the deer. If you want to spend big dollars pick up a Encore in 20 or 12 what ever you prefer. I personally like the 20 over the 12. Flatter and just as lethal. If you want something other than a single shot I would look at the Ithica Deer slayer or one of the mosbergs with rifled barrel. What I like about the Ithical is trhat it has a screwed in barrel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
shooting buckshot?
looking for a slug gun?
all around (2 barrels perhaps)?

Just a few things to ponder first,
And of course what's your purse like?

Just my two cents

Good Luck!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Remington 870. Hands down for buckshot patterns. A pump smokes an auto for buckshot; no comparison. This is from 20 yrs. of personal exp. And I think that a slug barrel is available for the 870. Don't jam either. If you're shooting slugs only, an auto might be the ticket. I bought a 3.5" 870 a couple of years ago, and have had the best of luck w/ it. I have a 3" 870 Wingmaster that is in great cond. I've killed a pile of deer with it. It sits in the closet year-after-year. I'd probably cut it loose for a song and a dance if anyone wanted it. I don't use it. Good luck.

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
anything but an automatic to pack a good punch. I'm an 870 express fan myself but choose to use a 10 guage pump. 10 guage buckshot is almost impossible to find for the beast.

·
Registered
339 Posts
anything but an automatic to pack a good punch. I'm an 870 express fan myself but choose to use a 10 guage pump. 10 guage buckshot is almost impossible to find for the beast.
Why not the auto? Just curious, not trying to pick a fight!:D

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The H&R is very nice, the Savage is considered VERY GOOD and I have a Mossberg 695 that'll drive tacks.

Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
For a basic shotgun, I use the Mossberg 935, with a 28" barrel. Hands down, it is the best shotgun I've ever owned, and will drop a deer at 50 yards with no problem. Holds a tight pattern. I rarely have to shoot twice with this gun.

For a bit more distance, you can't beat the H&R Ultra Slug in 20g.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The H&R is very nice, the Savage is considered VERY GOOD and I have a Mossberg 695 that'll drive tacks.

Chris
I've got a 695 too and thing is awesome on the paper and on the shoulder. You won't find a gun that recoils much harder and that's with the muzzlebreak. I've shot groups under an inch at 100 with that thing with the matching bruises to go with it. Of course when shooting at deer I hardly notice it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Benelli Autos. I own a hunting lodge in South America. High volume shoots. My customers shoot between 500-2000 rounds a day. Like the old Timex commercials. Those Benellis take a licking and keep on ticking. I have ten of them and never have any problems. I do sell them after the third season at about 100,000 rounds. Good guns.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I know a guy selling a Mossberg 695 for 350$/ If you are interested I'll send you the contact info. There is no better shotgun for shooting slugs accurately. They even use them in the Isreali military.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
1,107 Posts
h&r ultra slug gun in 20 guage...this is by far the best shotgun I have purchased. Drops em in their tracks. shotguns for buckshot doesn't matter... a gunsmith can make screw in chokes for you to do whatever you want. I have one choke that will put all 18 pellets (00) in a pie plate at 45 yds....benelli, remington, mossberg.....semi auto, over under, pump (depends on what your accustomed to shooting) Good luck

1 - 20 of 35 Posts