Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to crabbing and wanted to get some info and advice on getting started.:helpsmilie: I've got a nice boat and am at Breezy Point this year. Whated to get an idea of what type of traps and where to go and when. I've got a 9 and 10 year old asking everyday can we please go crabbing this year:clap: . Been fishing the bay for the past 10 years but never crabbed. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks George:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is your boat trailerable? If so I would recommend putting in at benedict or lens on the patuxent river. If your going to trap I would recommend using topless but on that river I much prefer a trotline. If your locked into a slip around breezy I could recommend a few spots just BMAIL me.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
George
Welcome to the Crab Forum.
You may want to start with (Kevin) [email protected] 410-803-8485.
Also: On Monday, March 5, there will be a Recreational Crabbing Symposium at the Hughersville American Legion Hall @ 7 PM at the monthly Southern Maryland CCA meeting.
This was posted on the Chesapeake Board.
Is your boat trailable?
You will find lots of advise here on this board :))

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the reply-The boat is trailable, however is a big boat. 30' w/ 9'6" beam. I just trail when needed. I was looking for some spots close to Breezy. it appears that there is great crabbing near Breezt as I have to navigate what seems like thousands to crab pot to get the the fishing grounds.

Fisheyed-I will shoot you a bmail shortly, thanks
Capt Dale-Not able to make the symposium but will email Kevin, thanks

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
George,
Those are commercial crab pots in the bay you can’t use them as a rec crabber, I’m referring to crab traps which are 12”x12”. Only catch one crab at a time.
Your boat is perfect for fishing the bay. Unless you have duel steering it may present a problem trying to fish traps from a boat that large.

·
Registered
886 Posts
George,
Most of us recreational guys crab in the rivers where they don't allow the commercial trappers to set their pots, that's where the best crabbing is. I've launched out of Breezy point a few times and I'm sure you'd catch a few just outside the jetties but your best bet would be to either run north up to Deal or head across the bay. There's real good crabbing in all of those creeks and bays near the mouth of the Choptank river. Going to be hard to run traps or trotline from a big boat like that, I'd say run a trotline with a long handle net will be your best bet.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
YOu could make a weekend trip across the bay to the Chop or Tred etc and find a nice cove anchorage in about 6-10 foot of water. Then use land lines with a long handled net for dipping. And, you could also splash Ctpx all around the boat tied to the rails or whatever and periodically go all around your boat to each tied off trap and pull up whats inside.

I bet you would do good. Not sure about safety implications steaming the crabs on board though. Or, just head home and steam em up later.
You could also wet a line for spot and perch, possibly croakers at night in the right place.

Good Luck on your first season crabbing!

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts