Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to get a kayak for fishing the falls of the James River. Mostly around pony pasture. I want to fish for smallmouth and flatheads. I also may do some trips to lynhaven and rudee for flounder and trout. Any suggestions on what I should look for in a kayak. It seems like most of you guys use the sit on top model, but most the people i see on the river mostly use sit in. Most of what I have read says to ge tthe SOT, which is what i would prefer anyway. So what should I expect to spend for a starter yak. Should I go used? Any help you guys can give would help alot. Thanks.

:rockon:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Scott, I just bought a Tarpon SOT from Appomatox in Midlothian. Go there and talk to them. They were very helpful and helped me pick out the right kayak for my needs.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I would like to get a kayak for fishing the falls of the James River. Mostly around pony pasture. I want to fish for smallmouth and flatheads. I also may do some trips to lynhaven and rudee for flounder and trout. Any suggestions on what I should look for in a kayak. It seems like most of you guys use the sit on top model, but most the people i see on the river mostly use sit in. Most of what I have read says to ge tthe SOT, which is what i would prefer anyway. So what should I expect to spend for a starter yak. Should I go used? Any help you guys can give would help alot. Thanks.

:rockon:
Big Cat,

Lots of good information here http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1211085601 on choosing a fishing kayak. In fact, that is the title of the board this link takes you to. Good luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't think that the older Ride, previous to the newly designed 07, gets very good reviews. do a google search or check out kayakfishingstuff.com for more info. they have brand-specific forums.

Then again, 300 is a good price for a first kayak, I would think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts