Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I will try and keep this short. I am moving to east coast canada (NS) and I want to fish striped bass. I been doing research on gear and decided on getting the following:
1. Penn Carnage II surface rod 10' Medium power
2. Penn Slammer III spinning reel 4500

I will likely run 20-25lb braid with a 3' fluorocarbon leader to a swivel and lure.

Questions
1. I want to primarily stuck with lures like topwater / jigs / plugs ect. and from my freshwater fishing, I know the lures weight should fall within the rods specs. The Carnage II 10' is rating for lures 3/4 - 3oz. I am not sure if the lures I will be tossing will be that heavy. I would imagine that any swimbaits I use won't meet these higher weights as well as some crankbaits. Will this be a problem? Or will I simply need to just search out heavy lures?

2. Is the 10' rod a good place to start?
3. Is my pairing of the rod and reel a good match for surf fishing for striped bass?

I am just looking for some advice and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
407 Posts
It sounds like a good setup but I would try to look at the rod and reel in person to see if the reel and guides line up without too much line friction on the guides when casting as this will affect casting distance. Bigger reel provides more line but the larger spool will shorten the cast due to the guide friction. There should be plenty of lead jigs that would get you in the sweet spot for that setup around 2-2 1/2 oz. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where I live we have no stock. I will have to order online 100% I have seen other people using this rod and reel combo on youtube. Not the same size but the same models. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts