Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All,

I am a recent transplant from Florida (military PCS) and I resisted the urge to sell the Maverick flats boat. I brought the boat with me to MD and plan on getting out this next month and put a few hours on it. I will be spending about a month in the Wallops area and I will be taking the boat with me. I have looked into fishing the Crisfield/Janes Island area and it seems like some the area has potential. I will be looking for inshore species (reds, trout, flounder, etc) and using light tackle and the long rod. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any help about the area is much appreciated. I wanted to speak with the folks at Sea Hawk to get some more local info.

r/
Bubba

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I fish the points and edges and stumpfields on moving water with mostly plastic jigs and those are the areas to flyfish. It is mostly fishing in 2 to 8+ and sometimes deeper on dropoffs. The outside (not canal/campground side) of Janes Isl is good and so is the area to the south at the VA/MD line near Fox Island.

There is great speck fishing there in good years but the numbers are way down after the recent cold winters. You should catch school size (17 to 20+ inch) stripers in the same areas.

Fishing the Smith Island area is also good, you have to cross open water so watch the weather; the jetties on the open Ches Bay side usually hold fish. You may also catch croaker and flounder in some areas especially along dropoffs.

Kevin is a great local guide and a super nice guy, I have seen him on the water and fished alongside of him a number of times over the years and he is always willing to share local information:

http://www.josenhansflyfishing.com/

http://josenhansflyfishingblog.com/

His blog reports breaking blues and stripers in the area recently, and he has a walk-on opening. Fishing with him would be a great investment in learning the area!

Welcome to Tidalfish and to fishing the Chesapeake Bay!

·
Registered
917 Posts
If interested, there is a redfish/speckled trout tournament Sept. 19-20 in Crisfield put on by CCA MD. www.ccamd.org and there is a Red Trout Tournament header on the main page as well as on the calendar. Would be a great way to meet people that are fishing the area and same species you want to target. That area is one of my favorites to fish in this state. Just look for clean, moving water and fish points and structure. There is a lot of area to cover but you will start putting things together. I second doing a trip or walk-on with Kevin Josenhans! Great guy, great guide and has been fishing the area for over 20 years.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Don't overlook the Chincoteague and backside of Wallops island. Flounder, croaker, sone light tackle shark fishing and plenty of biting flies

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just FYI, the Onancock bay challenge is the same weekend as the CCA tourney. It is another bayside tournament that is put on by the Eastern shore anglers club. Its fun and has openings for many species of fish. It is not catch and release like the CCA tourney.

For sure go see Matt @ seahawk

right now most of the local guys are fishing for the large red drum about an hours ride south, very doable from your boat. That fishery lasts another month or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this in the Nassawadox Creek area? How do you fish for the bull reds here? In the Lagoon or at the mouth of the St. Johns River, in Jacksonville, FL, we drop live crabs, cut bait or live finger mullet/pinfish and hang on. It would be nice to catch, photo, release a bull or 2. Do the bull reds school in large enough schools to be able to target/sight fish?

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I go to Wallops frequently for combat systems testing. I usually bring the boat and fish the Chincoteague inlet. Last time my wife and I caught about 100 croaker per day on cut squid. You can also fish squid/bull minnow sandwiches and pick up some nice flounder. Just go in a moving current either in or out and drift the channel. You will probably be bailing fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are getting me pumped up. I'm excited about my down time between flights. When I make it out I'll definitely post pics. Thanks again to all!!!!!

I'm hoping to mix one striper into the mix. It's a bucket list fish (along with muskie, and smallmouth) that I would like to get crossed off before heading back to FL.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd think you will have a better chance of catching a striper than any of the other fish you mentioned. Not that they aren't there, just not as prevalent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks! It would be nice. I'm going to try to focus on topwater, soft plastics, spoons, and flies (clouser, EP minnow, popper, etc). I'm hoping to get into some fish while I'm out and about. I'm really excited about seeing new places; born and raised in FL, I've fished the lagoon, Tampa Bay, Charlotte Harbor, Jax, and Fort Pierce pretty heavily but not much outside of FL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just finished up a productive day around Janes Island. Put in around 0830 this morning and started using Saltwater Assassin Midnight with Chartreuse tail swim bait. Caught 2 small rock, 20" and 22". They were my first rock ever and another fish off of the bucket list. As the tide started really rolling in I dropped the trolling motor and switched over to topwater. I switched over to a bone colored spook jr. Immediately hooked up. I didn't realize how aggressive and how hard they would hit topwater. The topwater bite was so good that I stuck with it for the majority of the morning. Ended up with 8 more rock on the plug. I then switched to a chartreuse Aqua Dream spoon. Got quite a few hits but no hook ups. Then switched to a trout colored c-eye mirrodine and started catching small trout after small trout. They were all about 8-10" but there were so many. Ended the day with 10 school-sized rock and a gob of small trout. I did see a couple of nice muds but didn't get to see what i spooked. I was hoping for a few redfish but didn't see any; the rock were a delight.

Many thanks to Matt at Sea Hawk. He offered to take me down south, where they are catching the bull reds on cut bait; I may take him up on it but trying to find time to get out will be the challenge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts