Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am going to admit it. I have not been hunting for a long time. My dad started taking me as soon as I was old enough to keep up. 17 yrs later I'm stationed here in VA and I am trying to learn an aspect of duck hunting I have never encountered before. I got my license and made it to ragged island a couple of times. I have seen a lot of ducks, but, I have always lived by the rules my father taught me empty game bag or not. on that note I have passed up shots at quite a few birds because I am not 100% on what they are. I would like to go out with someone who knows whats going on with this whole sea duck scene ( pretty much all of you I'm guessing). Ragged Island is pretty much the only area that is relatively close ( w/in an hr of home) that is open to the public I have found without the lottery system. Any help would be appreciated with insight or suggestions.

· Registered
11 Posts
Goin to be there tomorrow, most of the divers you will get are buffleheads. Bluebills and scooters are also there now. Some canvasbacks that come in later in the month. There is also a varity of puddle ducks, guess im not much help but there is such a wide range of ducks because you have open water and close areas. Good luck and ill try to give a report.

· Registered
75 Posts
Don't know about Ragged Is. area as i've never been nor heard of, but i must say, your Dad was right: I.D. the birds b4 U shoot, even if as simple as drakes vs. hens. Wish i knew VA's wildlife management (DNR) website to post a link 'cuz i think they have a "bird i.d." page w/ photos. Can anybody post a link to this page to help him out? Better to pass on a shot then have problems w/ the game warden. best of luck, jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.