Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just moved here a few months ago from the midwest and have been trying to get started fishing. Until a couple of months ago I'd never fished a day in my life. I have a little boat and live down by the Great Bridge Locks.

I've gotten my fishing license, and after seeing you guys pull up these monsters, I'm getting excited!

I'm sure I have about seven million questions, but for starters -

1- How/where can I learn more about fishing? I need to know things like basic knots, what you use each type of lure for, how to "read" the water etc.
1 a) I heard of a conference in Febuary put on by the folks at Saltwater Sportsman, it's an all day 1 day thing - anyone ever been? Is it any good?

2- Is it appropriate/proper etiquite to anchor at a bridge or fishing spot if it is out of the channel? I'm not just new to fishing, I'm new to boating also.

3- I have a couple of 6 foot spinning rod combos I got from Chesapeake Bait and Tackle. I honestly didn't know what I was buying so I got what he recommended. Can you really pull in a 20-30 pound fish on one of these things? It seems like it would snap in a second!

4- What artificial lures are good? Should I just stick to live bait? If I use live bait, do I have to troll?

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated! I've got the bug and can't wait to get going!

·
Registered
993 Posts
You'll get alot of good intel from the members on this board. The best answer I would give you is to join the Great Bridge Fisherman's Association. That club is one of the best fishing clubs around. They have speakers every month and activities for the family. You'll learn alot and have fun at the same time. Good luck

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hey, welcome.
you can learn a ton from the members on this sight. Do some searches on here and you will pick up alot of info that way... god knows there is hardly a subject that hasnt been covered here. also this is a great place to meet up with some of the locals. Invite somebody along next time you go for a boatride or watch on here for somebody looking for someone to ride with them and you will learn alot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good suggestion on joining a fishing club. You can also do some searches on this site for info. The best way to learn is by doing it, though. If I were new here, I'd invest in a few charters to really learn how to do it right. Just a suggestion and I'm no captain.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Welcome!!! Lots of info here and people willing to help give me a shout 757 407 5812 I am willing to share secrets!!!

What part of the midwest??

·
Registered
134 Posts
welcome aboard, a quick answer to ? 3 YES...depends on your lb test line and how tight you have the drag set. Most poles will withstand being "doubled over" which is a good feeling. Let the big fish pull line fromm the spool and work him over til hes tired enough to bring in the boat, good luck!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS for all the quick replies!

Hokie - I have looked at a few charters, I have a couple of buddies I might be able to get to go with me. I may start trying to find an open seat on some of these posts I keep seeing. I know you should help pay for gas and bait on someone else's boat - what is common etiquite?

Does the Great Bridge Fisherman's Association have a website?

capt. jakeg - I've been searching and honestly and overwhelmed with everything - I know what I'll be reading at work the next few months :)

Chumlord - I probably will give you a call! Thanks!

hookinfinger - GREAT site - thanks - my wife is going to get sick of me tying knots all weekend.

I'm sure a few million questions will follow!

Is there a way to get the new posts to appear at the bottom of a thread instead of the top?

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's pretty much what we do. We kind of stand around at the end of the day and add it all up in our heads, divide it up. You might want to focus on a few species at first. Right now, try to learn about catching rockfish, they're plentifull, fun to catch, and there's a lot of people willing to share what they know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's pretty much what we do. We kind of stand around at the end of the day and add it all up in our heads, divide it up. You might want to focus on a few species at first. Right now, try to learn about catching rockfish, they're plentifull, fun to catch, and there's a lot of people willing to share what they know.
Ok, first noob question - rockfish = striper right?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Welcome aboard...don't fret...we were all newjacks once...lots of experience here...volunteer to "HO" with anyone here on the board, Help Out with gas, bait and whatever and you will glean a motherload of knowledge and friends as well...

Beach

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome aboard!! You will find tons of info about stripers here in the many different posts. Just search the website and you will find a ton more than you will ever remember. Like others say, get a charter or be a HO and ask as many questions as you can. One great way is to find an oldtimer and he will give you a lot of basics. If you have any questions about rigs, lures, and knots, PM me. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome aboard!! You will find tons of info about stripers here in the many different posts. Just search the website and you will find a ton more than you will ever remember. Like others say, get a charter or be a HO and ask as many questions as you can. One great way is to find an oldtimer and he will give you a lot of basics. If you have any questions about rigs, lures, and knots, PM me. :D
Oh you don't know what you stepped in! Expect noob questions! Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well if you bought your rods from steave I am sorry to tell you but he more than likely sold you junk or you paid way to much. Its all part of liveing and learning if you need any help pm me and I`l do my best to answer any questions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts