Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be heading to hatteras for the second week of August. I've been to Hatteras many times before, but have always hit an offshore charter or camped out with my cooler on the beach... I have a 18'CC I am thinking of trailering down. I've been to the light tower in it out of Va Beach- but navigating the NC waters will be new, so I'm not sure what to expect. Question is, what kind of fishing can I expect to do that time of year? What will (OK, should) be bitting and where can I expect to go in the 18? How far do you need to go in August to find Kings, Dolphin, big Blues.....?

Thanks for any help.
Ian

·
Registered
45 Posts
a couple of years ago me and a couple guys I go to school with took an 18 foot maycraft out around hatteras and ocracoake and had a hell of a day. We trolled spoons out a couple miles offshore and caught small dolphin, false albacore, blues, and a couple mackerel. This was the week before law school started, so I would guess it was the 3rd weekend in August. You should have a good time

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that sounds good. I'll have to see what my 18 Maycraft will raise... Also where are the best small boat launching facilities closest to the inlet?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have been down there and launched at Teach's Lair with some friends. I also bought an 18' CC Sea Pro this year and am headed to Waves for a week with family in mid-july. Saw another post about casting to Cobia, which will be a primary target for me along with some tasty spanish mackeral which you can catch along the beaches at first light and trolling small spoons for behing the barrier islands in the sound area. Bluefish abound and always try casting red-head jigs for greys and flounder. I just need to figure how to get some height on my 18 to site cast to those cruising cobia! Good luck on your trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts