Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow crabbers, I'm a newbie to the crabbing scene. My son has been begging for a few years to give it a try. So were looking to run a 600' snood line of a 23' center console. Plan is to crab the bear creek behind the transit authority police station. Been doing some reading and have made a PVC prop stick. Attached is a picture of the prop stick. My question is how high off the water should the prop stick be? I'm guessing what I have rigged right now will be 10-12" off the water. To High or low?

How about using buckets as floats. Rigged a home depot bucket with two eye bolts. what are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fellow crabbers, I'm a newbie to the crabbing scene. My son has been begging for a few years to give it a try. So were looking to run a 600' snood line of a 23' center console. Plan is to crab the bear creek behind the transit authority police station. Been doing some reading and have made a PVC prop stick. Attached is a picture of the prop stick. My question is how high off the water should the prop stick be? I'm guessing what I have rigged right now will be 10-12" off the water. To High or low?

How about using buckets as floats. Rigged a home depot bucket with two eye bolts. what are your thoughts?
Try that prop stick first you may find it being just right by the time you place two people on that side of the boat while running the line. I like mine just above the water but when you aren't crabbing by yourself whom ever is dipping the crabs off the line can always move forward or back to be in the sweet spot . If you find it being to high you can loosen your trot line a lil to get through the day and then modify it. The only thing I would recommend is that once you find you like it make another one and fill them both with spray foam and take a piece of leader or small rope and tie it to a cleat if lost a day can be ruined without a backup . As for the buckets I can't help but they look good and should be easy to see. Now if we can get the crabs to co- operate ... Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
I keep mine at waterline. Personal experience is crabs will drop off if too high, especially on clear water/sunny days. I also use home depot buckets with brass snap rings...old brake rotors work great as anchor fyi, they suction to the ground and pretty much won't move.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you also may have to do a couple dry runs with all you stuff and may have to move your pvc forward or back depends on where you have room to net for me I have 2 spots on my boat I could put mine 1 in the middle of my 16ft. sea nymph for friends netting and 1 when I go by myself towards the back of my boat also I would drop your pvc pipe down around another 6 " , also make sure you put your NRID number on 4 sides of your buckets

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.