Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics of a couple of the deer me and my buddy scored. The first pic is his buck, it had a 20" inside spread and a double main beam on one side. He was on a baby does tail in some thick cover. He is going to mount it. I had never seen one of these until today, although I had heard about them before.

Here is a 9 that I took. He was also chasing some does. I did a european skull mount. I have 3 other 9pts from the same stand in the past few years, I guess there is a uneven gene pool in that area.

Took a doe and a slightly lesser buck with the crossbow. Can't wait for the next few weeks. It should be getting hot, hopefully we can find some more big boys. I have a little more work to do on the skull mount, but I am getting there. That sure is a nasty job, but worth the effort, better than just wacking off the horns.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I arrowed an eight point split beam on one side & palmated on the other about a dozen years ago, yours is the only other one I've seen & think yours is better looking. Nice skull mount.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
That double main deer is pretty cool. I've been reading onthe internet how to do those european mounts. My cousin has a room filled with them .

·
Registered
856 Posts
Good deer Justin.I havent hit on much this year.I have seen a coupl small 8s I let go,should be bulls next year.I had my chance on a 400 plus bear but decided not to try him.I was picking corn at Charles last week and man is that place tore up with with sighn.W e have been running some big bucks in the swamp.Kip killed a big nine.I will call you soon.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It is on right now in suffolk! A club member got one saturday;21inches wide nice big thick rack but amazingly weighed 229 lbs.. We are finally showing some results of not taking the small ones! The 5 gallon bucket rule WORKS!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seem some nice ones crossing the road by Charles's on the way to my grandads. I got a nice 7 in NC the other day. I saw you post about that bear, I would have had to take him myself. I have not seen the one around the hunt club yet, but I have been sitting in tha area a few times just in case it decides to show itself. I was told that Nansemmond is not hunting the Joshua woods anymore either. I am going to check into that. Give me a ring, I am going to try and fish this Sunday. We need to get on some togs.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It definitly helps to let the little bucks walk,anything 16 or under might be somebody one day especially if you have a good gene pool and enough land to manage but it sucks when you have some pothunter blowing em down when you let them walk.I know several clubs that practice QDM AND AFTER 3 OR SO YEARS THEY START KILLING SOME BULLS.If you need meat shoot does ther is always plenty in most places and its better to even the buck to doe ratio as far as trying to grow some bulls.GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

·
Registered
856 Posts
Justin we are going to hunt seahorse saturday if you want to come.I know you will probably muzzle load hunti.I am going to try and hunt in the swamp until 2 and haul ass to holland and try myself.We have been seeing some bulls at seahorse but cant seem to get after them.Jerry shot at a monster tonight and couldnt find blood.I put olroy on the track but their was a couple of does and 2 other bucks with the bull so no tellin what he ran for 1hour and a half.I just got in from lookin for him.I am going to talk to Robbie some time this week about later in the year.I also have a few decent rabbit dogs so keep your eyes open for bunny sighn and places to go and we will have a ball.Later

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good to me. Sean wanted me to tell you that he has about 11 DMAP tags for the research station. He wants us to take some out. I saw a bunch over there the other day, all out of range. He got to see a nice 8pt and a smaller buck fight for a while. I bet there might be some acitvity around your land too. Lots of good food crops there instead of cotton. It is 4:30 and I am waiting for my coffee to brew, then I am out the door, I am going for a Turkey at my grandads, today is the last day until Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I killed a decent 8 point today.Got to the hunt 2 hours late and ol crook had em on his feet.About 17 wide but right tall and even.Will try to post pictures soon.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice, I got 2 does, one dog hunting and one with the muzzeloader in the evening. Let me know if you ever want to hunt down here, they need some dog power. Better late than never.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I wouldnt mine checking it out.I have 6 hounds this year.Do yall have alot of land in Va?Jason Burgess talkes to Robbie and he said their are about 18 bucks on the farm that would make someone happy and about 5 that he would spend money on!Cant Wait.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW, please let me know when that hunt goes down!!!! There is plenty of land for your dogs once VA Opens. It is all basically one big block. We saw a beast today in the middle of the afternoon. Dont forget that you can go with Sean too if you want. I got pneumonia in both lungs so I am out of work for a few days!!! Too bad I actually feel to crappy to hunt.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks Jon for posting pic.I look rough,had a long night eating oysters and drinking bourbon.Sorry to hear that Justin sit tight and get it out of you.That stuff aint nothing to play with.:yes:

·
Registered
708 Posts
One good way to do the European style mounts

is to wrap the antlers with garbage bags, tape em up real good, and then bury the head underground with the antlers protruding from the ground. Cover the antlers with an old galvanized tob or something similar and leave untill the next fall. Worms and bugs take care of most of the work and then all you have to do is spray it off, boil it a bit, and then hit the skull with bleach and peroxide. Comes out pretty good and not very much work or expensive. Completed one last year that looks great and am digging another one up in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts