Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the shortage of spot I decided to chum starting one hour before low tide Thurs along the ledge at Podickary Pt.I got the slick going in 27 feet and only saw 3 other boats anchored out.There were a lot of marks and bait balls but also a lot of weeds and small logs in the water.The first 2 fish were small rock.I finally had a huge tug and a the drag was humming.When it got up to the boat it pulled away twice before getting netted. I measured it on my fish box and it was a 28 inch cat with a huge head.I have a history of being spiked by cats fishing in Florida so I got out my gloves to handle him.Having never cleaned a cat I threw him back but he gave me a great fight. One hour after low tide the fish disappeared except for a few breakers that looked like small blues.Any advice on cleaning cats would help if I hook another.Do the bay cats have spikes on their fins?

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Due to the shortage of spot I decided to chum starting one hour before low tide Thurs along the ledge at Podickary Pt.I got the slick going in 27 feet and only saw 3 other boats anchored out.There were a lot of marks and bait balls but also a lot of weeds and small logs in the water.The first 2 fish were small rock.I finally had a huge tug and a the drag was humming.When it got up to the boat it pulled away twice before getting netted. I measured it on my fish box and it was a 28 inch cat with a huge head.I have a history of being spiked by cats fishing in Florida so I got out my gloves to handle him.Having never cleaned a cat I threw him back but he gave me a great fight. One hour after low tide the fish disappeared except for a few breakers that looked like small blues.Any advice on cleaning cats would help if I hook another.Do the bay cats have spikes on their fins?
I have caught and cleaned about 60 blue cats this year. I throw the ones over 24" back though. I fillet them and lay them on the cutting board and skin them. All catfish have spikes on their fins.They are very tasty.......... Gary

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
NICE....Cats are great fighters and a good alternative when Mr & Mrs striper aren't cooperating. I don't eat em much anymore but crabby is correct. Fillet em for sure then pan fry in butter, salt & pepper to taste then drizzle a little lemon juice on top. Hundred different recipes out there, but that's the way I like em and it's easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
put a nail through their heads to hold them in place > make incision around the head > with a pair of pliers pull the skin back towards the tail > then filet.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies.The next one will land on the table.I didn't realize they were so common.I've caught them on lakes but they never fought like the bay cat. Its gloves only if they have spikes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I caught 4 between 24-30" just north of Baltimore light on Weds morning... I fileted them like a rockfish... Gave them to my parents, who said they were OK... Not a single rockfish...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I assume these have been channel cats but it leads to a question. How wide spread are Blue Cats, Flat Heads, and Snake Heads in the watershed these days?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Since I looked at some pics and going by color alone and not anal fin I am almost certain I hooked a 24 inch Blue Cat under the Key Bridge a month ago. It self released at the boat. We're supposed to keep and kill those things right?

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
I assume these have been channel cats but it leads to a question. How wide spread are Blue Cats, Flat Heads, and Snake Heads in the watershed these days?
Blue cats and snake heads have moved into brackish waters but prefer fresh water. I assume it's the same for flat heads......Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
I filet them just like anything else. No need to skin em. Filet off the body, fold filet over then zip the skin off from underneath.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts