Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in at SP. Tried casting the shorelines in the bay from SP up to the Severn, making my way to Weems creek but found nothing there, where I had found a few 20"+ fish last week. Headed back out to the Severn and found breakers between the 2 bridges. Caught several aggressive, hard fighting 20 inch fish on a large rattletrap(didn't seem to want top water), but that school quickly disappeared and I was left with dinks which didn't want the big rattletrap. Went smaller and caught a few on a minitrap, curly tail grub, 4 inch plastic shad and a stingsilver, but wanted to find a better grade of fish, so I motored down to the area around Tollys where I spotted working birds in a good number of spots just south and east of TP in about 40 feet of water. All small fish, and nothing bigger jigging deep. Hit several of the pods, but nothing of any size. Just read a report where there were bigger fish south of where I fished. I think I saw those birds working through the binos but decided to head back to SP to beat the rush hour traffic. If I would have known they were larger fish, I would have endured the traffic jam. On the way back, there was the largest amount of birds I have ever seen in front of the Severn. Many of the birds were sitting but some were feeding. Seemed to still be lots of very small rock so I didn't give it much time. All in all, a decent day of steady action, with calm seas, but nothing I felt comfortable keeping. I was concerned about shrinkage, if you know what I mean. That 20 inch minimum reg this year has really put a hurtin on my freezer this year.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The points along the mouth of the Severn have both been dink city for the past 2 months. However, there are so better grade fish along the shorelines. I can confirm that a 30 incher has been landed inside the Severn this fall- not by me or at least not yet.

There are still plenty of fish in the mid 20's around if you can get away from the hype of breakers and navigate purely by sight- fishy shoreline structure. My only complaint about this fall is the lack of fish bigger than 25 inches in the river. The size of the fall run was far better last year.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Stripers in the 18" to 22" range have been available at spots in the Severn and at least one other Western Shore river for the past few weeks. Every now and then a slightly larger one shows up. I trolled small paddletails from my kayak using medium and medium-light spinning tackle on at least half the days in October and caught many nice light-tackle fish. I expected those fish to move out sooner, but with the mild weather during much of October, they are still there.

I also found some stripers sitting in my usual shallow pickerel spots. It is fun to cast to a shoreline with an ultralight rod and 1.8-oz jighead and paddletail and find a fat 19" striper on the other end. Rods were bent, and drags were noisy.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Russell, Thanks for the post. It looks like you had a great time.
:thumbup:

I didn't give it much time. All in all, a decent day of steady action, with calm seas….
Getting the calm seas are most of the battle, especially this time of the year. WE had a great summer this year wind wise, but I wish that we could say the same for October & November.
:52:

…but nothing I felt comfortable keeping. I was concerned about shrinkage, if you know what I mean.
That's smart. We typically add an inch to the minimum size limits if we intend on keeping some. We threw back a lot of a hair of 20 rockfish this season on says which we were looking for meat.

That 20 inch minimum reg this year has really put a hurtin on my freezer this year.
Like I've said numerous times, the new regulations are working. We'll all have more to catch in the future.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. i saw some of your posts on the SSRKC forum before I left, one reason i wanted to try the shorelines along the Severn and tribs and took my smaller boat. I should have given it more time, but when i didn't get a sniff where I had success last week, i got impatient and left Weems and ran into the 20 inch hit and run school between the bridges. Once they disappeared, I headed to Tollys thinking maybe the larger fish were moving out to the mouths of the rivers and figured I'd take advantage of the flat water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts