Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my mom and dad fishing on the NN reef on saturday. The weather was nice all day until we anchored and started fishing. Then the wind kicked up from the SE and with the tide running out it made the lines run under the boat. Well anyway we did manage to catch several fish in the slot. We ended up throwing back about 6 or so. Then one of dads rods goes down and the drag is screamin. He fights the fish for about 10 mins and it turns out to be a nice 40inch rock. She was skinny and spawned out but she still made some nice fillets. Shortly after that the tide died and the wind continued to pickup so we headed back to the house. It was still a nice day to be on the bay.

Mike

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Mike,

Nice work on the Rockfish. Thought I saw your boat in front of Ft. Monroe over the weekend, but I guess it wasn't. [grin][grin][grin]

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mike,
We fished the NNAC tourney on Saturday. Manage to catch our 8 fish limit with the biggest being 26 at 7lbs. We were also at the reef from 0730 to 12 noon. After the limit we tried the trolling thing trying to catch the big one. Trolled for about 2 hrs with not a single knock down. Paralled a charter trying the same thing and his luck was like ours. When we got back to the dock someone had a 43 incher he had caught at the reef. We fished the reef on Monday and pull out a 44 incher at 32 lbs. Still some nice fish around. We plan on going this Saturday.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Capt. Hook,
This will get you within 50 feet of the yellow bouy marking the reef. Did not see the bouy last two trips out. Don't know if bouy is still there or not, but there were so many boats they could have been blocking it out. IF you go there while the Striper season is still in you will see many other boats in the area.

037 38 010 N
076 09 369 W

Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went out on a charter Saturday on Mystic Lady out of Fairport. Didn't leave the dock until almost 3pm. My boat's still being serviced, so decided to at least get out on the water. We caught our limit of 20, with only 2-3 throwbacks. Most were in the 22-25 inch range. All caught chumming the reef.

I was told that the bouy is no longer there, guess it was whacked by a commercial prop.

All in all, a pretty nice day.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It was cold, windy, rainy, and choppy at the reef yesterday, Thursday, but the fishing was HOT. I set up a trip for a larger group on Liquid Assets and went as the mate. We chummed all day. They darn near wore me out unhooking the fish. Along with the rocks we got two blues and a keeper flounder.

I did as well on Tuesday too.

I saw a cooler full of real nice croakers that were caught just northeast of the Leroy buoy on Wed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey Capt. Dave,
We planned on attending the picnic on Saturday, but lots of family at the cottage. They had a big cookout planned and we thought we had better attend. Came by Igrams to weigh fish, but you hadn't returned. Planning on fishing tomorrow at the reef if the wind allows. NOAA is calling for 1 footers so I think it is a go. Glad to see a Croaker report in our area. Don't know about or where Leory buoy is located. You locals with your secret fishing holes. HAHA. Talk to you soon.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Leroy is the RP buoy at the north end of the cut channel. It's just a local name. It is a tall red and white buoy with a red lolly pop shaped ball at the top. Once you see it you wont forget it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts