Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the start of our Delaware trip fishing Indian river and the flies and mating horseshoe crabs made it tough. At Henlopen pier this am got variety of small black sea bass, croakers, spot, and a bunch of blue crabs most sponges. Even with small fish, the view was beautiful with the ferries and lighthouse. Did Holts Landing one weekday and there were a load of just undersized crabs but got chased away by intense lightening. Pier had been damaged by storms. Hey you can keep 5 inch females in Del. as long as not bearing eggs. Had great fly over with Marine One and sister copters heading to Rehoboth around noon today. Fishing beaches (slow) earlier in week noted a number of Navy copters running beach patrols and a low fly over by a Navy cargo jet. Lots of dolphins off the beaches. Finished Henlopen when temp hit 95. Next time a chair and umbrella.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Spent the start of our Delaware trip fishing Indian river and the flies and mating horseshoe crabs made it tough. At Henlopen pier this am got variety of small black sea bass, croakers, spot, and a bunch of blue crabs most sponges. Even with small fish, the view was beautiful with the ferries and lighthouse. Did Holts Landing one weekday and there were a load of just undersized crabs but got chased away by intense lightening. Pier had been damaged by storms. Hey you can keep 5 inch females in Del. as long as not bearing eggs. Had great fly over with Marine One and sister copters heading to Rehoboth around noon today. Fishing beaches (slow) earlier in week noted a number of Navy copters running beach patrols and a low fly over by a Navy cargo jet. Lots of dolphins off the beaches. Finished Henlopen when temp hit 95. Next time a chair and umbrella.
Pat and I will be going to Henlopen Pier soon. I got something i want to try. It is what I used in FL. for beach flounder and I caught a lot on it. I want to try my DOA Night Glow Shrimp with Pro Cure Shrimp jell smeared on it. I was hoping for a Cape Henlopen Pier report. Thanks!

Font Personal protective equipment Rectangle Advertising Audio equipment
Liquid Product Fluid Font Plastic bottle

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pat and I will be going to Henlopen Pier soon. I got something i want to try. It is what I used in FL. for beach flounder and I caught a lot on it. I want to try my DOA Night Glow Shrimp with Pro Cure Shrimp jell smeared on it. I was hoping for a Cape Henlopen Pier report. Thanks!

View attachment 281854 View attachment 281855
Hey Andy, I'm likely hitting the islands next weekend targeting specs. Thinking of trying some of these shrimp. How do you work them?

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Hey Andy, I'm likely hitting the islands next weekend targeting specs. Thinking of trying some of these shrimp. How do you work them?
If you can see them, cast up current and twitch and stop with them. Specks like to attack when they think a prey item will move. I've gotten more strikes when the bait was sitting still than moving, works the same with them with topwater lures.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I work them slow along the bottom with a very slight twitch of the rod now and then. If your fishing for flounder you will feel a little bump. Feels like your hung up. Don't set the hook right away, wait about three seconds. You can feel the weight of the flounder. Then set the hook. Flounder won't let the DOA go with the Pro Cure on it. They won't let it go with out Pro Cure. I don't know where you will be fishing, but I caught all my flounder along the beaches in FL. I cast alond the beach, not way out. Cast no more then 10-15' out. The hook rides up with the little weight in the belly so you can fish it good around rocks and grass. Now that I'm back in Md. I bet I could catch bass and even rock fish. I might give that a try. Hope this helps. Be better if I knew where you were fishing..
Water Shorts Sky Cloud Travel

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Eastern shore islands. Target would be specs. Some gators being caught. Was thinking rigging up with a popping cork.
OH Yea! Trout love it also also, but a different retrieve on trout. I retrieved it slow,but faster then for flounder. It works great in grass. For trout I glide is along with a few little hops.
Food Cuisine Fish Fish products Seafood
Don't forget the Pro Cure Shrimp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's quite the haul. Was that over in the islands? Is there a particular ratio of water depth to length of line below popper I should start with? I'm hoping for minimal grass. More looking to fish hard structure.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
That's quite the haul. Was that over in the islands? Is there a particular ratio of water depth to length of line below popper I should start with? I'm hoping for minimal grass. More looking to fish hard structure.
The length of the leader depends on the depth, I usually start around 2' and see how it goes, if the water's deeper and you're not getting strikes, lengthen it up 6". I also try to stay 6-8" off the bottom to avoid crabs. I have never had to go past 3'.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yes I keep it set at 3’ and fish 2 to 5’ of water the shrimp falls nice and slow they come out of grass and snatch it up the popping cork gets there attention

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
OH Yea! Trout love it also also, but a different retrieve on trout. I retrieved it slow,but faster then for flounder. It works great in grass. For trout I glide is along with a few little hops. View attachment 281864 Don't forget the Pro Cure Shrimp.
Andy just ordered pro cure shrimp off of E Bay thanks for the tip . U get a commission 😂

·
Registered
181 Posts
Andy,
What do you think of peeler crab scented proCure? I found a container of it in my basement from Tockermans. Never opened in years. Hope it is still good. Any advise…
ACG

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Andy,
What do you think of peeler crab scented proCure? I found a container of it in my basement from Tockermans. Never opened in years. Hope it is still good. Any advise…
ACG
Tockerman's!!!! That was my tackle shop while growing up in East Baltimore. Great tackle shop. Yes I think peeler crab will work. All fish like peelers. Tip for using Pro Cure. Find a place close to where your fishing and squeeze out some Pro Cure to dip your lure in every now and then. Save you the trouble of pulling it out of your pocket or tackle box, and getting on your hands and on your reel handle. That jell is slippery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts