Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my fishing buddy, who is 79 years young with me Sunday. I kept it to just him and I fishing to give him plenty of room to fish. He casts while sitting at the console seat. Now he has the whole back half of the boat to himself. I put a cooler in the back for him to reach and one up by me. We left Truxton Park ramp at 6am. Spa creek was calm but once we hit the open Severn the winds put some waves on the water. A slow ride to the fishing spot but once we got there we were protected from some of the winds. My goal was to only keep 20 perch over 10 inches. My buddy and his wife eat fish every week all year so he could keep whatever, but he only keeps the bigger ones. The nice thing about where I fish is with all the rocks and submerged jettys, I don't see other boats.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Tree
We were both throwing gold spinners and catching some nice fish. My first few fish were nice 9 inchers but they went in my buddy's cooler. Then it was a good hit finally a 10 in my cooler it went. I was getting some really fat 9 inch perch almost every cast. Some went in my buddy's cooler most went back in the water. He was doing ok for himself. The tide was slack at 7:15am so fishing slowed for an hour or so but by 8:30am it started picking up again. Big fat perch were hitting cast after cast. I was having problems with the bail on my rod so I switched to my backup with a perch pounder on it. I was doing fine and much easier to take the fish off of 1 hook instead of 3.
Food Grey Fish Fish products Art
We called it a day at 10:15 and I had my 20 perch over 10 inches and he had plenty of fish between the 2 coolers. We probably caught between 150 and 200 fish total, what a great day.
My 20 keepers over 10 inches, several over 11 inches
Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Plant
My buddy's fish between the 2 coolers.
Vertebrate Fish Cuisine Seafood Ingredient

Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice report. And kudo's for taking your 79 year old buddy fishing. I too used to take my elderly buddy fishing well into his eighty's.

Do you use a glove to remove the hook? Their fins get me every time is the reason I ask. One day I will wise up and purchase a glove off.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report. And kudo's for taking your 79 year old buddy fishing. I too used to take my elderly buddy fishing well into his eighty's.

Do you use a glove to remove the hook? Their fins get me every time is the reason I ask. One day I will wise up and purchase a glove off.
I don't use a glove, the smaller perch are worse for getting stuck by a fin.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
WOW! Mike you are the best at perch fishing. That is a great report. You called it and you did it. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice report! The perch pounders work really well on large perch and get down to the bottom very quickly. My only gripe is they aren't very durable for the price. I bought 4 and within a week destroyed 3 (bending/breaking hooks, spinner blades and eyes falling off and paint chipping). This was mainly from flipping/pitching around docks and not casting to rock piles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pretty work Mike. That's a nice mess of Perch! I had a wedding to officiate yesterday, but maybe this coming Sunday I can try my luck with the whiteys.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice report! The perch pounders work really well on large perch and get down to the bottom very quickly. My only gripe is they aren't very durable for the price. I bought 4 and within a week destroyed 3 (bending/breaking hooks, spinner blades and eyes falling off and paint chipping). This was mainly from flipping/pitching around docks and not casting to rock piles.
I definitely lost a little paint but they don't snag like treble hooks, so I don't lose any. Casting around rocks, there's going to be paint chips. I bent the hook out just a little for a wider gap, I kept getting hits but fewer hookups. That definitely did the trick.

Mike

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Mike thank you for posting the great fish catching report--those are some nice size perch!

I love to fish on the Severn!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts