Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished today with Dave, Ed and Mike. Nice guys and good fishermen all. Left Rudee around 6AM and had fish in the box by 7AM. We fished the ocean east of the Bay entrance, north side, within the 3 mile line. There was scattered bait and fish marks. My first trip using eels and the dogfish loved them! But so did the stripers! We caught 6 to 42" before our eels ran out, then trolled up 2 more nearby. A limit by 11:30! Coooool! We also stopped under the thousands of birds off Cape Henry for some casting action on the way back to Rudee. Sighted several whales in the area.

A really nice day. Thanks for going, guys.

Bill
Miss Ginya

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
481 Posts
Fishing today

:) Bill we were at Cape Henry about 8:30 am and had a fish on about 8:45. My son and a friend from work and I caught a 39" two 38" one 37" and two 36" and a lot of 30" and be low before we went to the barn. It took all day to do this. How much did the 42" weigh? They were all fat with 8 to 12" bunker inside them. It was a great day for all the Tidal Fish members. Tight lines to all

Bob

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) Bill we were at Cape Henry about 8:30 am and had a fish on about 8:45. My son and a friend from work and I caught a 39" two 38" one 37" and two 36" and a lot of 30" and be low before we went to the barn. It took all day to do this. How much did the 42" weigh? They were all fat with 8 to 12" bunker inside them. It was a great day for all the Tidal Fish members. Tight lines to all

Bob
Bob,

I haven't weighed the fish yet, but I guess the 42" one will go a little better than 25lbs...probably not 30...not as fat or as heavy as shorter fish we caught last year later in the season off NC. I guess they haven't had time to gorge on menhaden yet.

Bill

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Bill,
Glad you got into them! I was out there this morning pre-tournament fishing. I caught about 20 in the same area you were in, biggest was around 41". I like to troll an eel behind the mojo, it has seemed to work fairly well for me this year. Caught about 5 dogfish also.

Capt_Ben

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bill,

As always, great time on the water with you and Dave. Nice to meet and make a new freind - Ed. Wife and kids loved the fresh blackend and broiled striper for dinner.

Mike K.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice job on the stripers Bill. Looks like the fish are here. I wish we could go back to the old citation size. I have caught so many just under.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there Bill, this is Alex. Glad to hear Miss Ginya had a great day! How were you fishn' those eels? Anyways I saw the birds going crazy at about 3 pm off of Cape Henry, it looked like some great action. Anyways stay in touch.

Alex

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey there Bill, this is Alex. Glad to hear Miss Ginya had a great day! How were you fishn' those eels? Anyways I saw the birds going crazy at about 3 pm off of Cape Henry, it looked like some great action. Anyways stay in touch.

Alex
Nice to hear from you, Alex. We fished the eels 25' to 30' under bobbers with 1 oz. lead. We used a "bobber-stop" made from twine tightly tied around the line to keep the bobber in place. Mike had one under a balloon. Also we had a couple free-lined without weight and one with a small in-line lead to keep it on/near the bottom. All striper bites were on the bobbers. 6/0 circle hooks worked fine and were large enough. Lots of sharks were caught also. Very frustrating at times. 2 dozen eels was not enough to catch our limit of 8. The backup plan to troll umbrellas and mojos worked perfectly to add the remaining 2 to fill out our limit.

Bill
Miss Ginya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts