Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new Nissan 4stroke outboard for my boy to run on his jon boat. They seem to be reasonable about $1200 for a 6hp. Anybody have any experience good or bad with these?? I,ve always had Johnson/Evinrude in the past

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I love my 18 HP 4 stroke.

go to thehulltruth.com and do a search for an answer to your question.

They are very popular in Asian counties, as reliable as a Honda or Toyota. Not a big dealer network but they rarely break. You can not go wrong by buying one. They also make the small Mercury motors.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've owned an 18 HP Nissan 2 stroke that is probably 20+ years old. It owes me nothing. Have not heard much about their 4 strokes, but assume they are solid as well.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Dad had a 25HP Nissan on his duck boat. Tough little motor and the price was right. He bought it from Cabelas a couple years ago. They delivered it to his door for no extra charge.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If your looking for reliable/cheap... I bought a 5hp 4 stroke Briggs from Bass Pro for my little boat last year and it does great. Easy to start and anyone who can tinker with a push lawnmower can fix the thing. I think it was somewhere around $700.

--John

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought their new 3.5 HP 4 stroke last year around this time for my Port-a-Boat. I'm extremely dissapointed.

1.The motor is VERY loud.....was embarrassed when I pulled up next to a very small 2 stroke.....mine was MUCH louder.

2. The paint started coming off the cowling on the first trip. Pealing off in large pieces. Sent digital photos to Nissan....waste of time

3. The motor actually started in drive, not neutral.

Customer Service was non-existent...just lip service........"take it to an authorized dealer".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the 411. The six hp is supposed to have forward/neut/reverse and thru prop exhaust to be quiet. Paint peeling does concern me cause he will run it in brackish water in the pax.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I own 3 Nissan outboards - 5, 8 and 25hp. While my father has the 5, 9.8 (4stk) and a
40. All are great motors. At least as good as Yamaha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts