Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience with these motors (newer models)
anything from 8hp to 25hp

who sells and services them?

thanks

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
West Marine sells them. I have never seen one in a repair shop. I'm not sure that is a good sign, might just mean that not many are sold. What's wrong with the better known brands?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a 50 HP (that's over 20 years old) and it is rock solid. I want to replace with a 4 stroke but the darn thing won't die. I do my own service and get the parts online at http://www.tohatsu-nissan-parts.com/

The physical store is located at Solomons Md so I have also just run out to pick up the parts.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
My buddy Dale has run a Nissan 18HP on the skiff for a lot of years... the thing is bullet-proof.

·
Registered
548 Posts
anyone have any experience with these motors (newer models)
anything from 8hp to 25hp

who sells and services them?

thanks
I know atlantic sea tech in seaford va is a dealer and a damn good mechanic. I had a 6 Tohatsu and a 25 both great motors. Rock solid and never had issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Having been an outboard owner for 50 years and trying lots of brands in my experience Tohatsu is by far the most reliable. I own 3. Two are 11 years old and have only had routine maintenance. The 30HP and smaller motors are the same as Mercs and they are made in the same factory in Japan. There are some paint, control, and cowling differences but the blocks and gear cases are the same. You can get some really good deals on out-of-date small mercs (tohatsus) at Eds Marine Superstore in Richmond. If you buy a small Merc you will have to get it serviced at a Merc dealer (obviously). If Tohatsu or Nissan there is a service center in Norfolk off South Military Highway. The business is called Lacquer Specialties though most of the work John (the owner) does is motor repair. He used to sell small Tohatsu motors but because his buying power was small scale he could not compete with the large on-line dealers price wise. He is service only now. Excellent mechanic.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I have a Merc 25 four stroke, power tilt and trim, elec start made by Tohatsu. I love this motor. And everyone who fishes with me mentions how nice the motor runs and sounds. In addition it's very easy to change the oil and filter. You can get a filter at any parts store for a few bucks. I do use the Merc Quicksilver synthetic oil in it. It takes a little over a quart. Don't know if the dealer was BSing me or not but told me 25 hp and over Mercs have to be dealer installed. No cash and carry. In the end I was glad they installed it as it was more work then I thought it would be. This was because of the boat I was putting it on had nothing to do with the motor. My transom needed reinforcement. I'd recommend this motor to anyone in a heartbeat.

Another plus is the pull start is on top of the motor and fires the motor right up in the event I get stuck with a dead battery. A friend has a Suzuki 25 and he has to remove parts from the top of the engine to wrap a rope around the pulley wheel. I can't imagine doing that on the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts