Keep an eye on the weather for this Saturday. As of this evening the forecast was calling for winds up to 20 knots in the Potomac and Maryland Bay waters. That could mean anouther Small Craft Advisory.
As of Friday morning June 2, the National Weather Service forecast for the Potomac River and Maryland section of the Chesapeake Bay was a Small Craft Advisory for Saturday June 3rd. If this forecast is not withdrawn, the Rock-A-Thon Tournament will be cancelled again and rescheduled for Saturday June 10th.
June 10th is the Saturday of the annual Reedville Bluefish/Rockfish Derby. If you are participating in the Derby and weigh in a Rockfish at Smith Point Marina or Buzzards Point Marina by 4:00PM the NNAC will honor the official Derby weight of your fish for the Rock-A-Thon. Notify me at 804-580-4337 if you have entered a Rockfish in the Derby so I can review the weights.
If you are not participating in the Derby, I would suggest that you DO NOT consider Smith Point or Buzzards Point as weigh in marinas for the Rock-A-Thon. There will be extreme traffic into and out of these marinas on Saturday afternoon. The marinas will also be totally occupied with handling the Derby's activities.
Here is some input to help you understand why we have the Small Craft Advisory (SCA) Rule. The Club is a small boat club as indicated by the following statistics from member boat data:
Boat Size in Feet ** Number of Boats
Less than 18 ** 11
18 to 20 ** 30
21 to 23 ** 49
24 to 26 ** 31
27 to 29 ** 10
30 and over ** 12
With 80 of our boats being less than 24 feet there is a need for caution as well as making the tournaments as fair to all members as possible. We do not want to encourage members to take undue risks just to win a tournament award. Dave
I have a question...why aren't the tournaments stationed at one marinia? I can understand that some people don't want to drive their boat or trailer their boat around but i think it would be more of a challenge to other members who aren't use to fishing those parts of the bay.
Well it must have been rough out there yesterday. Got call from brother-in-law. He and 4 others fished out of GW. Entire crew got sick. He captains a 21 ft. Sea Pro. Good idea to postpone the NNAC tournament. That makes 3 blowing Saturday's in a row. Maybe this means that we will have a good weekend for the Smith Point Sea Rescue Bluefish/Rockfish Derby.