Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No fish were entered for the third weekend of the Northern Neck Anglers Club's Boat U.S./ West Marine Bonus Striper Tournament. There is one weekend to go so if you want to win you better do it this comming weekend. Big fish have been scarce so if you get any kind of keeper you might want to have it weighed in at one of the Club's weigh in marinas. Good luck to you all (but not better than mine - ha ha!).[wink]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dave, where is the bar now. Is it still 28# to take the grand prize? I agree that the fish this year have been hard to get in the boat. We boated 3 a few weeks ago but nothing over 20#. Not as easy as last year but we are going to give it another shot this weekend. My son is very upset that we excluded kids from the tournament and is determined to catch one this weekend to show everybody up.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to make sure everyone knows: there is a seporate tournament EACH WEEKEND! This comming weekend is the last one. There was an award to be given out for the biggest fish EACH WEEKEND. At the end of the four weekends there would be a grand prize for the biggest fish over all. So if you fish this weekend you could win the weekend prize and possibly the grand prize.

As of now the biggest fish for the over all grand prize is a 28# 8oz. fish.

I'm sorry that some kids might have been put out by being excluded from winning these awards, but as I have said before, my experience is that many of the small fry are not able to fight in a trophy rockfish so daddy has to help which is against the tournament rules. The angler must hook, fight, and bring to boat the fish unassisted (excetpt another person can hand line the leader or net the fish) in order to be a legal entry in the tournament. I have seen strapping young men who could not do it so that is how it has to be.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Glen Allen,

Tell your kid to go get 'em! Mine was a little disapointed too, even though we are not fishing it. I hope to bring this up in a winter meeting, I certainly would not want to see this become a trend.

Kids that are not strong enough can fight fish from rod holders, and our "youth" goes to what...17 year olds? I know that there are plenty of 15, 16, 17 year olds that are plenty stronger than some of our regular members. Heck, if I can pick the kid and the adult member, I'll bank roll an arm wrestling match.

The question is of honesty. If one is going to cheat, they will cheat. This is the same thing as someone having a non-member, non-paying fishing in a boat and weighing in a fish as if it were caught by a member. As a fun club, we give everyone else the benefit of the doubt. It's also a great way to teach our kids little lessons. (If I help you, we can't weight him in. That's the rules)

My 8-year-old son has handled up to 28" fish huffing and puffing a grunting! Not a bubba but plenty big to win a tournement some days.

We are looking forward to the fishermens fair this year and look out...the Gregg Team is comming out swinging this spring![grin]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Scott, I agree we should look at this for next year. I did not know that the reason that the kids were excluded was because of their physical capibilities. Ouch! Now I can give my son a hard time about this and let him know he needs to start pumping iron.

I agree with Dave that it is hard to bring in a 25# fish beging an umbrella rig trolling at 2.5. But it can be and is done by young anglers. I think the CCA tournamnet has a division. The fish hook themselves because of the troll so I pick up the rod and sit the kid down in the flip chair with him pointing out the back of the boat. There is a place on the back of the seat for placement of the rod butt. Then it is only a matter of leverage. My son gets plenty of practice by bringing in the rods when we move locations.

He has fun anyway just being out there and he knows that I would not be able to troll for these big fish without his help. In some way I feel lucky because not many 12 year old kids would get up at 4 am in december to go trolling for 8 hours in a 17' center console in the cold wind even after being excluded from the tournament then get skunked and ask in the truck on the way home " when are we going again".

I hope he can put one in the boat this weekend for bragging rights at the next meeting.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The no kids/no guests rule applies only to the Boat U.S./West Marine Bonus Rockfish Tournament. I got the extra gift certificates from Boat U.S. and West Marine and was told I could use them in any way I saw fit such as door prizes for the Seminar. Because the certificates have a reduced value after not being used for a long time and since our seminar isn't until the end of next March, I decided to use them as awards for an extra tournament. The format of a multiple weekend tournament was suggested by another member. I took it from there and made up the rules for this special event. So this is something that was not in the Club's 2005 tournament schedule and not subject to the regular Club tournament rules.

I am sorry that there are some who feel that excluding the kids and guests was a wrong decision on my part. I had my reasons for doing so and have explained them before. Members are always free to bring up concerns at our meetings and I encourage anyone who has a problem or a suggestion on how to better the Club's program to make their concerns known. However, I think it should be done at a members meeting and not on a TF message board.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts