Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northumberland Co. - spent the majority of the day out on the water paddling some fishy shoreline. The mosquitos were bad getting on and off the water and my arms are tired, but I tagged and released a hand full of puppy drum between 14-17" and a half dozen small speckled trout. Not as many rockfish around but did manage 4 schoolies. Two small flounder came out to play as well. Then at the end of ebb tide I caught this 25" release citation spec. Was a great fight with a good tag and release.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
looks a little shorter than 25 if the mouth is closed.
The measurement should be made as the fish naturally lies. In this case it looks like it lies naturally open.
Congrats on the nice catch. Did you put the fish on a stringer and get to shore for the measurement pic? How did the fish handle the stress of that and then laying in the mud for a few seconds?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well you will notice that the tape is twisted just a tad and 0" is not all the way back too, so I guess one could argue 24.5" or 25" but it aint gonna be me cause either way its big spec!

Yeah I tried my best to keep this fish in good shape. I was close to the shore when i caught it so I put in on the stringer and paddled slow to the shore, kept him in the water while I layed the tape out, snapped a picture, tagged him and released. He swam off great. I was pleased.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like you had a GREAT time! Beautiful speck! What water in Northumberland? I hang out in the Coan a lot.

·
Registered
573 Posts
looks a little shorter than 25 if the mouth is closed.
Give the guy a break. At least he had the thought to take a pic and release it to live, fight, and breed another day instead of icing it down for trophy pics. Its a beautiful fish no matter what, especially for the territory.

Citation is 24", so who cares if its a little under 25"

Congrats on a beautiful speck, and thanks for helping to conserve the resource!

jay

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jay - I agree.

Mustang - where do you launch your kayak? I have some info on a new launch in the area - feel free to b-mail.
T

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Great Job On the Yak

25 " is a huge fish on a yak, bet you got towed. Nice job, what was the lure of choice?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts