1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Try the Calander of events Duh...

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
I "think" if I see those sorts of posts they will get closed as well and I do not think it is sad.
I have learned a lot of things having run boards since 1996 and there is a reason the boards survive unlike many that have gone under.

What would be sad is if we allow it and the board becomes a calendar of events. And if we allow that then why not allow "for sale" posts too. The reason is because then the board becomes a big for sale board.

So what happens then? Well let me tell you, no one wants to come anymore because the board is just a big calendar of events and for sale board. Then the very people that people wanted to see the event and for sales posts will no longer come.

I understand why people want to post these things here, they want the exposure. We have the Calendar of Events and Classifieds to keep that stuff in their own section. I watch the traffic and trust me, a TON of people visit those sections, especially since we have new interfaces.

I am always open to suggestions and feedback on how to make things better. And I am always open to hearing from people who have more experience then I do to learn how to do things better.

I am sorry to come across as so forward with my response, but if you are going to openly attack the board policies with such a negative tone without at least PMing or emailing me first to understand the reasoning for it, then the only choice I have is a direct response on the board.

Thanks for the understanding

Brandon

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Really? Well I guess we will see.

This is not a game to me. This is my time being used to deal with this that could be used to be improving the site.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Also, since you have purposely dragged this one out in public, please let everyone know all the experience you have managing websites and successfully managing growing message board communities.

Sorry to call you out, but like I said, you choose to drag this one out in public. I think anyone who has sent me a PM or email asking about something or suggesting something will quickly and strongly attest how open and grateful I am for feedback and suggestions.

Pulling this sort of stuff just to stir things does tweak me a bit when what I am doing is not trying to take away from any "fishing" stuff, but rather trying to make this place the best place around and keep it that way.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Well I guess we will see.

This is not a game to me. This is my time being used to deal with this that could be used to be improving the site.
You're right. It shouldn't be a game. I apologize for going there. I recognize your experience, but respectfully disagree about the content that serves your reader community the best.

In my own opinion, meeting and event annoucements should appear on the calendar. If the there is more info to be given out, or questions from TF'ers, a thread on the Main board is a perfect place to discuss it. These are generally events where the TF community actually gets to meet eachother, and put faces to names, embraces and issues or learn something helpful.

That kind of information should be encouraged.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
I am totally aware of what you are talking about. Have you thought about how many clubs and organizations there are and how crowded this board will become with posts about meetings and events from all these clubs? Once all those posts are made people will complain that the board is full of announcements and that they have to wade through them to get fishing reports and other related fishing talk. What would be your proposed plan to handle this situation?

Then people play the BTT (bring to the top) game and post in the thread to keep the post at the top of the board to get exposure.

YES this site is about fishing and is meant to be about all recreational fishing stuff. The boards are for fishing reports and fishing talk. The Classifieds are for sale items, the Calendar of Events items. I have and am trying to provide a place for everything to address everyone's needs.

If the current Calendar of Events is not allowing for enough information to be posted about the event, then I can work on fixing that. I can also work on creating a spot in the event announcement for people to ask questions and start a dialog. I can also work on creating something that shows the upcoming events more promently to drive awareness. As an FYI, upcoming events are rolled out on the main board index page at the bottom, obviously I need to move the location and place on all the boards to drive more awareness which I will work on.

These suggestions are a lot different then starting a thread/post in the open forum before even approaching me with the suggestions and openly attacking the policy with out attempting to be informed about the reason for the policy.

We also have a forum dedicated to Feedback and Suggestions which was a result of a suggestion. That forum is located at:
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brandon, did you bump your head? Life is a game. Seems to me you don't play well with others. Correct me if I am off base but it is my understanding that a person wanted ti invite all TFers to a fishing related free meeting for fun and nonprofit. All were invited on your board. Correct so far? You then choose willy nilly to reject the invitation and all questions for the group. You then claim to be running YOUR board the way that you see best for all members by religating all topics you see as nonfit for your board to what would be a dumpster. That is your right to do but a freethinking person can make up his or her mind all on thier own what to do with thier time and not reading a post is one of them. I seem to remember someone not wanting to be a "babysitter". Is one post that is helpfull and free to YOUR members worth your time? Aparently so. As to why, that remains an unknown. Baning all free nonprofit on topic fishing seminars to be anounced on the main board (not pined) is strange to say the least. Whats up? You alright?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Well, seeing as how this is stuck here anyway...

Yes, that's right ladies and germs, in CCA/Southern Maryland's unselfish and neverending quest to promote cultural snootyness and angling panache, TONIGHT, and tonight only, a cadre of highly trained fly fisherman will assemble in the Ville that Hugh built at 1900 hours to teach you EVERYTHING you ever wanted, or will ever need to know, about flyfishing...

They have billed this affair as a seminar entitled, FLYFISHING FOR DUMMIES, which seems like a rather dumb name if you ask me, but you didn't, so that's really neither here nor there...

Anyway, this not to be missed, once in a lifeti -- well, ok, maybe a couple dozen times in a lifetime -- event will be held at the Hughesville American Legion located off of whatever that piss ass little road is that runs by Buddy's Convienance Bar/Store/Emporium, you all know where it is, or just ask Chairman Bill and he can impress you with his memory of route numbers...Libations are for sale at the bar, so you can not only learn to fish like Lefty but support the war effort with your beer buying dollar...Small Thai women will be available during intermission for a nominal fee to walk on your back, and if negotiations work out the Crowbait dunking booth will be set up in the parking lot...(Really? No, not really...)

If you love America, you'll be there...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Classic Chum, absolutely classic.. Like how you worked in the Thai women and cleverly disguised Budweiser as libations..

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey Brandon, How long dose it take from the time you enter your info in to the calendar of event page until it gets approved and placed on the calendar?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am totally aware of what you are talking about. Have you thought about how many clubs and organizations there are and how crowded this board will become with posts about meetings and events from all these clubs? Once all those posts are made people will complain that the board is full of announcements and that they have to wade through them to get fishing reports and other related fishing talk. What would be your proposed plan to handle this situation?
Again, I respect your experience, but I have no problem with the amount of content before the policy change. There are always people who complain. The only way to keep things moving is to keep most peope happy.

Then people play the BTT (bring to the top) game and post in the thread to keep the post at the top of the board to get exposure.
There's always going to be people bending the rules.

YES this site is about fishing and is meant to be about all recreational fishing stuff. The boards are for fishing reports and fishing talk. The Classifieds are for sale items, the Calendar of Events items. I have and am trying to provide a place for everything to address everyone's needs.
I see events regarding recreational fishing issues, gatherings, community service, and non-profits a separate issue so long as events only benefit non-profits. Your guidlines regarding commercial activity or use of the main board to peddle merchandies are very clear.

If the current Calendar of Events is not allowing for enough information to be posted about the event, then I can work on fixing that. I can also work on creating a spot in the event announcement for people to ask questions and start a dialog. I can also work on creating something that shows the upcoming events more promently to drive awareness. As an FYI, upcoming events are rolled out on the main board index page at the bottom, obviously I need to move the location and place on all the boards to drive more awareness which I will work on.
The calendar of events is GREAT. There's no need to change it.

These suggestions are a lot different then starting a thread/post in the open forum before even approaching me with the suggestions and openly attacking the policy with out attempting to be informed about the reason for the policy.
I've already apologised for opening this debate in a public forum. You're obviously quite upset about this. I'd be happy to take this private at anytime, but it is here now.

We also have a forum dedicated to Feedback and Suggestions which was a result of a suggestion. That forum is located at:
I will be visiting the Feedback and suggestions forum. I will be posting these suggestions:

1) Allow event announcements to occur both on the calendar of events, and on the board that is most relevant to the event. The two media serve different purposes and allow for the broadest exposure. The calendar of events is a clearinghouse of events, and a forum thread allows the complete nitty gritty.

2) Do not create policies that waste your time. Moderation of the boards is a huge task. Trying to eliminate innappropriate content, commercial activity is probably the most that needs to be done. In other words... let us be the judge of everything else.

3) I did like the "Fishing Reports" tag available on the old board. I would reccomend re-inventing the "Fishing Reports" tag and adding an "Event" or "Announcment" tag that all TFers can use.

That's it... I have nothing left to say about this. Thankyou for your time, and all the effort you've made to make this site worth visiting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.