Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't keep. I have a friend that eats them. We know how to filet and cook them so all the fine hair bones cook right up in the meat. They are really good to eat. I will try to explain how. Filet the pickerel, lay the filet skin side down on cutting board. Make cuts about an inch apart on the whole filet all the way through to the skin. Season it the way you like. Then drop the filet in hot grease. The grease will go through all the slits/cuts and cook all the fine bones up. You will never know it had bones. Some one showed me. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I even took some to the American Legion on Kent Island years ago. My friends didn't believe me. They couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man Andy, you are death on those pickles. Wish we had some more of them up this way.
Jerry, I really don't want them pickerel. With my light line I lost a lot of your shad darts, and little tube baits. I think pickerel are the easiest fish to catch this time of year. The Marshy Hope in loaded with them. The yellow perch are getting better as it's getting colder. My guides are freezing up. LOL! I know you know about that.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah, one time I was up at Conowingo at night fishing the rocks at the base of the dam for walleye and I kept wondering why I couldn't get any distance on my casts then I realized the guides were freezing up. Needless to say, I was the only one dumb enough to be out there that night! I was out one day last week and had them freezing up as well. Perch are finally starting to move deeper in the river as the temps drop.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry, The river had too much ice this morning. Couldn't fish right. So I went to the tackle shop and bought some tube baits and a few bobbers. They said they will be selling minnows and grass shrimp sometime in Feb. I think by that time the fish will be in the river so thick, you won't even need minnows, or grass shrimp. Glad to hear the perch are moving in on the Susky for you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
there are a couple good youtube videos showing how to filet pickerel. they have an additional row of bones down each side, BUT you can feel them and slice around them and you'll end up with 2 strips per side, 4 per fish.

after you clean 1 or 2, you'll have the hang of it. it only takes an extra minute or so to clean them.....

I'm not a big fish eater, and I've only kept a few out of curiosity, but the meat is a very nice mild firm white meat. If you like fish, I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

I've always heard they are bony, which they are, but check out youtube and you'll be able to get 4 beautiful bone-free strips from each fish.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I posted is VERY easy. I wish someone would try it and report back. They really are a good tasting fish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pickerel and more pics

No I don't keep. I have a friend that eats them. We know how to filet and cook them so all the fine hair bones cook right up in the meat. They are really good to eat. I will try to explain how. Filet the pickerel, lay the filet skin side down on cutting board. Make cuts about an inch apart on the whole filet all the way through to the skin. Season it the way you like. Then drop the filet in hot grease. The grease will go through all the slits/cuts and cook all the fine bones up. You will never know it had bones. Some one showed me. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I even took some to the American Legion on Kent Island years ago. My friends didn't believe me. They couldn't believe it.
Hi Andy- Everything went well @Sarasota Memorial. Was actually back to driving 4 days after discharge! Been back to fishing again with success(see pics). Also, 3 days after you posted the above, I caught my biggest Florida Pickerel...23". I thought, before I caught it, wouldn't it be nice to try the scoring method on the numerous Y-bones. The many MD/DEL river & pond(Unicorn, Urieville, Tuckahoe, Wicomico, Severn etc.)pickerel that I caught/harvested were boiled and picked for fishcakes by my dad & mom.Well, now I know the rest of the story. After frying, probably too long to ensure bone edibility, I got to report that although some portions of the Y bones were doable, still inedible bone was obvious. Well," A" for effort is all I can say!

Doug(hopefully some recent pics will be attached.) ATTACH=CONFIG]195562[/ATTACH] PHOTO_20160113_080430 (1).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Doug, you look familiar. Did you fish the South Jetty in FL.? Do I know you?
Andy- Yes, you should easily! Let me help...Broad Creek(ice fishing) I made and sold Rapala ice jigs on the ice, Williams Pond spillway(crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, bass)Urieville(ice fishing), Northeast River(bass, my brother & I hired Jim Brousseau & watched in March while you whacked 'em from shore on black Doll Flies @VFW,LOL!!, before the back pedestal seat got ripped out while my brother was still in it after Jim did a shotgun start and took an early March swim in the 38 degree river!), tried the Peace River Restaurant for the auce bluecrabs(per your advice)AWESOME, and been enjoying the Hard Rock oysters(just this week, again)AWESOME! Oh yes, go O's...that should hopefully be enough info. for your recollection of me, oh yes, one more clue- I informed you that I was going in for Open Heart valve replacement in Sarasota Memorial during Thanksgiving week(things are going "stellar"!) Need any more clues?? PHOTO_20151023_134602.jpg

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Andy- Yes, you should easily! Let me help...Broad Creek(ice fishing) I made and sold Rapala ice jigs on the ice, Williams Pond spillway(crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, bass)Urieville(ice fishing), Northeast River(bass, my brother & I hired Jim Brousseau & watched in March while you whacked 'em from shore on black Doll Flies @VFW,LOL!!, before the back pedestal seat got ripped out while my brother was still in it after Jim did a shotgun start and took an early March swim in the 38 degree river!), tried the Peace River Restaurant for the auce bluecrabs(per your advice)AWESOME, and been enjoying the Hard Rock oysters(just this week, again)AWESOME! Oh yes, go O's...that should hopefully be enough info. for your recollection of me, oh yes, one more clue- I informed you that I was going in for Open Heart valve replacement in Sarasota Memorial during Thanksgiving week(things are going "stellar"!) Need any more clues?? View attachment 195698
Holy Crappie!! Yes I remember now. Doug, my memory is shot. I remember most fishing in my life. I do remember that day on the North East River when you guys pulled up in your bass boat. That was funny when the seat broke and he went in the cold water. I should have said, I can't believe this. I am standing on some ones floating dock catching large bass, and you guys in that nice bass boat are going swimming right in front of me. LOL! Now I remember open hart valve. How are you now? Looks like you are doing good catching all them crappie. Yes them Hard Rock oysters, and them Peace River Restaurent steamed crabs are the best in FL. that we found. If we have the money, we want to come to Venice FL. for a few weeks in March, or April. Doug, I miss FL. so bad I get a sick feeling every now and then thinking I don't live there any more, and never will again. Thanks Doug, nice talking with you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts