Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the croaker? Saturday, 6/6, my son and I fished Hooper Straits and caught nothing. We moved east of Bishop's Head and caught more of the same. Then moved to lower Hoopers and up into the Honga and still caught nada. What the heck? We were using squid on traditional 2-hook bottom rigs and this always works for croaker. We fished deep and shallow; on the edges and in the channels. We got driven off the water around 4 pm by the storms. The fishing was great but the catching wasn't so good. Maybe the storms scared the fish away?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Caught a dozen or so in pax river 2 weeks ago. Nothing huge but a few bites. All on bloodworms though. 1 toadfish on the squid. Fast drifts at 1 -1.5 kts and walked the line back quite a bit with 4 oz. to hold the bottom.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think I saw you! We did the same fished all over the place in the same area, all the usual haunts, ended up the first day with nothing and second day with 2 croaker and a small oyster toad. Heard that all the fish are being caught at night. The fish we did catch were on fresh peelers. Here is my therory. I think that the May worms are still spawning and that the fish just dont have the drive to feed right now I say this because I saw lots of marks and know the fish are there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Same thing in Choptank River for me Sat and Sun. Tried bloodworm, razor clam, squid, and shrimp. Not 1 bite or pull down....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Ron,
We did see you we went right past you we were the deadrise boat with my wife, kids, and a shaggy dog. Going down again tomorrow.

Fondly

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Was on the Honga today and talked to two guys croaker fishing in the channel. They said they were doing well on 9 to 13 inch croakers using artificial and fresh bait. They were near Bently Pt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The fish are there now we caught plenty unfortunatly so are the greenheads/blackflies - worst I have ever seen them. Lots of bait too - so its just a matter of time - if I had a bug suit, no kids/wife with me I would have fished for trout certaintly they are around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went out last Monday with the wife, launched at Solomon's bridge. Ended up catching a half dozen on bloodworms/squid at Helen's Bar. All were 10-13 inches and heavy. Water depth ranged from 10 ft to 40 ft deep, no real concentrations at any particular depth. No spot, perch or toadfish. Made for some nice breakfasts with fried eggs and taters.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The fish are there now we caught plenty unfortunatly so are the greenheads/blackflies - worst I have ever seen them. Lots of bait too - so its just a matter of time - if I had a bug suit, no kids/wife with me I would have fished for trout certaintly they are around.
You are right about the flies as bad as I have ever seen. Forget about the trout, haven't caught 1 this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts