Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had grand plans to go diving off Podickery - slack current was predicted at 3 pm. Managed to get enough work done early to sneak away and got to Sandy Point at noon. Figured we could fish few hours until slack.

Fellow TFer REM1224 ( Ralph ) met me and we headed out. Stopped along the 30 foot edge to look for fish - saw some on meter and anchored. Current was incoming and light south breeze made it easy to anchor.

2 ozs got bottom well - in fact too easy. We had one half hearted tap but no hook up. Water was looking dirty and noticed Cownose Rays swimming around. Think slack came early. Gave up on fishing about 2:00 and dropped a marker jug over an area I often find anchors.

Moved the boat south of it to drop big anchor off bow. The breeze had picked up enough we did not want to anchor from stern.

Idea was to let wind push boat to marker jug - then drop grapple anchor to snag the cable marked by jug we dropped. Odd thing - boat wanted to drift east ?????

It was not yet 3:00 but current clearly was going out already. Waves were beginning to white cap - as current bucked the south wind. Hated to call the dive but conditions just were not right. I have not dove since February and did not want to force first bay dive of the season. Got all summer to kill myself while diving - so why rush it ?

We pulled big anchor and circled back to get jug / weight - then ran east to use side scan to look at a few things on the chart.

Obstruction is such an interesting thing on charts - some are really wrecks. Side scan showed decent detail - Ralph is good with computers and had it dailed in nicely. GPS waypoint after waypoint was entered - each one a likely dive site.

We worked south and stopped by Sewer Pipe - I have dove this few times but side scan revealed a few things just to north that require a close up look with dive gear. Water was much clearer here but current was screaming out at this point in time - crushing hope of a plan B dive.

We worked farther south to bridge and saw few guys LTJ ing but we left our rods racked - using side scan was just too much fun. We went around pilings I had dove last year and side scan showed in detail what I know to be down there.

Other pilings were side scanned and we found a lot of cool items. Many pieces of 3 foot dia. casings are scattered between pilings and saw a few things that will require a dive to figure them out. Waves made it tricky at times to decipher the images - I pray the thing that looked like a 12 foot Eel is really straight piping but curvy from waves.

Wind was really picking up - I give credit to small open boats to be fishing in it. We went by Eastern Rockpile and got great images in lee of the island. South side had standing three foot whitecaps and no good to use side scan.

Went to north bridge to check out a snag - sidescan showed something on bottom but not enough detail to be sure.

We went along bridge pilings and both laughed when we clearly saw a long ladder on bottom by one piling. X marked the spot - no doubt diving for it real soon.

Ralph asked me about an obstruction just north of bridge on chart - I had no idea - so we side scanned it on way back to ramp.

Found something sticking up from bottom - no idea what but another X on GPS for future dive exploration.

Hoping to get a day next week to explore at least 2-3 of these new locations. Definently want to dive Podickery before Rays invade that area too bad. Bumping into them while diving is awful - think I'll never get used to them.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Skip, Just got back from that area and the rays were all over. Thought I was marking fish but after a few bumps on the lines and a few surfacing around me it was evident THEY ARE HERE.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Skip is that chirp you are using to see things on bottom if it is can you see fish . How does it work in that dirty water. Im thinking of buying that same unit.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O sea D - The unit is awesome and shows EVERYTHING. Saw Ralph's 1 oz jighead under boat as he tried jigging.

I have not caught many fish when " marks " are on the unit to get good feel for what exacting I'm seeing. I did see clearly 9-12 inch Menhaden in April on side scan - snagged them on planer board lines so it was 100% what I saw.

The Simrad shows archs - my old Furuno showed " hotdog " shapes. It will take some time to learn this but as I do - it will really increase me finding fish. Catching them is still up to me.

As far as dirty water - makes no difference. There are so many variable settings - you can get rid of all type of clutter.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Skip went out the other day from the Magothy and have never seen so many Rays in that close before. Fished around 10 boats at Podickary and never did see any fish being caught except seeing a lot of rays. I just didn't know they go up in the Magothy that far.... The good part it was a beautiful day.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
O sea D - The unit is awesome and shows EVERYTHING. Saw Ralph's 1 oz jighead under boat as he tried jigging.

I have not caught many fish when " marks " are on the unit to get good feel for what exacting I'm seeing. I did see clearly 9-12 inch Menhaden in April on side scan - snagged them on planer board lines so it was 100% what I saw.

The Simrad shows archs - my old Furuno showed " hotdog " shapes. It will take some time to learn this but as I do - it will really increase me finding fish. Catching them is still up to me.

As far as dirty water - makes no difference. There are so many variable settings - you can get rid of all type of clutter.
Thank's for the come back sounds like a winner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts