Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing on 14 Nov. out of Smith Point in that thick fog and my GPS signal was very intermittent. Luckily it came back for my return trip to the inlet. Went again on Sunday 23 Nov. and it wasn't there at all. What's up? I've been out of town for the last 2 months, did I miss something? It's like my GPS subscription expired. I've talked with other boaters and they report the same thing.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I am not aware of a “GPS subscription”. Sounds like you have an antennae problem. If yours is external check your connections. If it has an internal antennae I’m not sure. I did hear something about signals being interrupted briefly I believe by something the military is doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was only kidding about the " GPS subscription". Other boaters also said they didn't have the GPS signal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We were lost in the fog on the 14th too. Had to run West and follow the shore back to Smith Point.
We had the same issue with our GPS (Lowrance). For a couple of weeks it would go in and out. The unit worked great prior to that. When we really needed it totally shut down. It would say GPS Module not responding. My partner has been back and forth with Lorwance and then finally the dealer where we bought the boat mentioned that they may have received a bad batch of antennas (not sure). They were going to overnight a new antenna to us. I hope this fixes our problem.
What you described is what we experienced the weeks up to the unit completely not working. We were chasing loose connection and could not find any issues.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
For the Lowrance Guys: I went through the same thing recently. (GPS module not responding) unit locked on previous map screen for SP when I was fishing breezy. Lowrance recommended reset (no go) Suggested we check continuity/voltage etc. Sent anntenna back to them/they did a check and sent me a new anntena four days later. Problem solved. Anntena was defective. Note: my mechanic told me he has seen defective anntena's on a number of lowrance brought in for the same problem. I was very happy with Lowrance and the speed in which they tested my old and sent me a new

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I had this problem in early summer then it suddenly went away. The govt. could be testing something they want kept seacret. Bob

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Lowrance makes a very nice hand held unit that can be run on two double A batteries or a 12 V receptacle. It has the same programming as larger units, takes the same maps plus you can transfer waypoints back and forth. It will not solve a military outage but I think they are pretty rare today. Whenever I go out a new inlet I mark it on both my 10" unit and my hand held. Lowrance calls it (i finder H20c). You can find them for just over $200. I would not boat without a back up for both the GPS and Fish finder. Both can go out when you really need them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Lowrance Global Map 5200C. I assume that you already know that 'GPS Module not responding' has nothing to do with Gov. GPS Testing. When it says 'GPS Module not responding' it's a equipment issue. The only issue I had when they were testing was that I couldn't pick up the WASS sat.

Fot the what ever it's worth Dept., once or twice a year mine says GPS Module not responding as well. The fix for my unit is to turn it off and then disconnect/reconnect the GPS Ant. connection. Not the one on the back of the box but the the about 3 feet from the ant. It works every time. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or not but this connection on my boat is exposed to the weather on the underside of my tower.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Read recently on another forum that Garmins were having a rash of these type problems. It appeared to be a software glitch related to a new WAAS satelite launched earlier this year. One recceomendation was to go in and turn OFF the WAAS feature on your unit. A lot of the guys said their units worked fine after the WAAS was disabled. It will not be as accurate, but it might get you home in a pinch. My Lowrance did the same thing as mentioned earlier. Got a new antenna, still didn't work. They just sent me a new cable. Putting it on tonite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I happen to have a GARMIN 2010C. The top banner displays a message that says "Waiting for GPS antenna".
Your input about GPS testing is very suspicious, and coincidental with the dates I was on the water. This unit has worked perfectly for the past year.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I've had some issues in that area as well although I haven't fished there recently. I do think there's some scrambling or something going on occasionally. That said, my unit has an internal antenna and I've found the angle it sits on the dash makes a big difference in my reception. The straighter it sits, the better the signal. I also have to turn it off and back on occasionally after resetting the memory card.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
My GPS lost signal one day last week out of Breezy also......never had an issue anywhere else. Could very well be the radar towers or naval base interference. I turned my unit off then on and never had another prob. all day.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There have been GPS issues all summer long on the Western Shore. I had three times last year, once in August, another in late September and one in early November, where my GPS lost its signal when I got inside of #1. The signal would be out for half an hour to 45 minutes, then it would come back as strong as ever. I did read about some testing being done, which could affect all GPS signals.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i read some where i think it was in boating magazine that they recently launched a new satellite for GPS and that it would make some recievers inop, that may be your issue , they said that they new satellite would make accuracy alot better , may have nothing to do with your problem but worth a shot , try buying a new cheap unit if it works there you go if same problem persists tak eback new GPS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts