Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mechanics at breezy have had my boat for nearly three weeks now. It was promised back to me twice already. It turns out they didn't even look at the boat until have the ready dates had passed. I'm very, very dissapointed with them.

So..., I want to make the repair myself. I need to replace the water pump on my 1996 Yama 200 salt water series. Is this a job I can do myself if I have the manual? Do I get the manual at west marine? What about the pump?

What does this job involve. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I'm a Merc person but they're all basically the same. Get a manual for a Yama dealer or search around - they should be readily available. The job typically involves removing 5-6 bolts to remove the LU. Check inside the WP housing for scoring and replace the pump as a unit if the internals are all scratched up. Otherwise, replace the impellor and ALL seals. Takes about an hour. Change LU oil while you're down there. Only use a light coat of grease on the input shaft splines when remounting the LU or it get air-bound and cause powerhead damage if you force the parts together.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I also am a Merc guy and just finished my merc I/O but they are pretty much the same as Bob said, I would get the manual and just get a whole kit unless you have time to take it apart and then get parts. You can always keep the unused parts for the next time and the kits are not that bad at least the Mercs. Just be careful fitting the housing on you may have to rotate the shaft and do not forget the key. Mercs have to be in forward gear and the shift shaft aligned. All that for your motor should be in the manual or search online. I too would like to find a dependable mechanic that had time but I guess the good one are busy.......Thats why I always end up working on my stuff.
Have fun its not a bad job. try replacing the bellows on a I/O. I launch out of Breezy also sometimes so hope to see you
Good luck

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yamaha's are NOT the same as all others. They typically have a bolt, beside the 5 or 6 holding the LU that must be removed, or the LU will not drop. Get an OEM shop manual or seek explicit Yami info before doing the water pump service. Make sure to use non-hardening Permatex or gasket cement on all LU and water pump fasteners if you'd like to be able to remove the stuff again in the future.

Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. I've had good luck with them in the past. My brother has a work order in with them and is running into the same problem. They said they would get his boat done 2 weeks ago, and as of yesterday, they hadn't touched it. My advice would be to get the manual for your motor. Even if you are not having any problems now, you will in the future. It's always nice to head off a $1000 mechanics bill by doing it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.