Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out chumming 3 times since my last successful report and have hardly had any action to tell about! Went out again this Saturday, 8/15, in the afternoon to chum the outgoing tide around York Spit. We did some croaker fishing for bait and my buddy caught his first speckled seatrout. It was only 12", but it was a nice surprise...they are beautiful fish.

I bought a few eels this time and we tried casting to a few buoys on the way out...no hits. We set up to chum and got a nice slick going with a combination of eels and croaker out. Action was very slow. We had one small cobia take an eel...we let him run for a bit, engaged the reel and brought in half an eel. Perhaps we should have let him run for longer but he was fairly small too.

I was told recently that "chumming was slowing down" and that most people were sight fishing. For all of you more experienced anglers out there, do you find this to be true? Does chumming become less effective towards the end of the season, or perhaps I have just hit a bad luck streak? I am ok with slow trips, my family and I seem to have fun regardless, but I am also trying to learn for next season!

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have been out chumming 3 times since my last successful report and have hardly had any action to tell about! Went out again this Saturday, 8/15, in the afternoon to chum the outgoing tide around York Spit. We did some croaker fishing for bait and my buddy caught his first speckled seatrout. It was only 12", but it was a nice surprise...they are beautiful fish. I bought a few eels this time and we tried casting to a few buoys on the way out...no hits. We set up to chum and got a nice slick going with a combination of eels and croaker out. Action was very slow. We had one small cobia take an eel...we let him run for a bit, engaged the reel and brought in half an eel. Perhaps we should have let him run for longer but he was fairly small too. I was told recently that "chumming was slowing down" and that most people were sight fishing. For all of you more experienced anglers out there, do you find this to be true? Does chumming become less effective towards the end of the season, or perhaps I have just hit a bad luck streak? I am ok with slow trips, my family and I seem to have fun regardless, but I am also trying to learn for next season! Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
chumming never really "slows down" ni caught my first cobia on sept 21. there are just more surface swimming fish right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts