Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thing to think about regarding bait.

The first one is pretty clear. You can not possess female peeler crabs on a vessel after Oct. 27th. It doesn't say where they came from.

The second is not so clear. It says that you can not harvest. I would suspect that a judge would throw out the ticket if you had a receipt for crabs that you purchased at a bait shop (which further assumes that they were harvested out of state).

Tom

4VAC20-270-55
C. From October 27, 2008 through November 30, 2008, it shall be unlawful, for any person, to harvest, from Virginia tidal waters, or to possess, aboard a vessel, any female peeler crab.

4VAC20-270-40. Season limits.
A. The lawful season, for the harvest of male crabs, shall be March 17, 2008 through November 30, 2008. The lawful season, for the harvest of female crabs, shall be March 17, 2008 through October 26, 2008.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It looks like the main word in the law is "POSSESS". Kinda like pot bought in Oregon where legal and using in Va. The man will get you if in your possession.

Dickie

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
but who has Jimmies ? I called several numbers in the rollOdex and no body had any.....but I did order another case of peelers soaked in brine from another source-

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
but who has Jimmies ? I called several numbers in the rollOdex and no body had any.....but I did order another case of peelers soaked in brine from another source-
No problem getting jimmys on this side. All you want for $5 a dozen. Not a sook to be had though.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Tom are these rules for the commercial crabber or the recreational crabber. I was under the intention that crabbing season was over for the commercial guys at the end of October (31)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The harvest of female crabs ended on Oct. 27th. You can still harvest and possess male crabs until Dec. 1st. The regulation does not distinguish between recreational or commercial harvest so it applies to both.

It is not clear to me what the rules are regarding possessing crabs that were purchased from out of state harvesters.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Nope, $5 a dozen for #1 Jimmys at Bill Forrest Seafood in Poquoson, by the Messick Point boat ramp. He said he planned on having crabs all winter, even if he had to bring them in from out of state.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Possession of female crabs

Tom,
Here's the excerpt you posted from the Regs:
4VAC20-270-55 C. From October 27, 2008 through November 30, 2008, it shall be unlawful, for any person, to harvest, from Virginia tidal waters, or to possess, aboard a vessel, any female peeler crab.

4VAC20-270-40. Season limits.
A. The lawful season, for the harvest of male crabs, shall be March 17, 2008 through November 30, 2008. The lawful season, for the harvest of female crabs, shall be March 17, 2008 through October 26, 2008.

The first regulation says you cannot possess any female PEELER crabs. A peeler crab is an immature female with a triangular apron, not the rounded apron with a point on it which characterizes the mature female crab. Mature female crabs do not shed, so they never become peelers.
Female crabs have a terminal moult when they shed for the last time in their lives, mate with a Jimmy and store the sperm that lasts them for as long as they live. Immature females have a triangular apron and are potential peelers, mature female crabs have a rounded apron with a point on it and are not peelers.

Realistically there isn't much action on peeler crabs this time of year anyway, because crabs shed to allow them to grow bigger, Not much growth or shedding is going on once water temps drop into the 50s.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually a female peeler crab is characterized by an apron that is pink or red in color. A triangle shaped apron just indicates that it is an immature female crab that has not had its terminal molt like you described.

Like I said it is still not clear what happens if you have female crabs in your possession on a boat that you did not harvest when you are inspected by an MPO.

How are they supposed to interpret your possession?

Did you buy them from someone who caught it in NC (legal) or catch them in your own pot (illegal)? ? ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Korean markets in Richmond on Jeff Davis Hwy near Chipp Pkwy have live females by the dozen for $5.99, they aren't peelers but they are all females never have seen a jimmy in there. I only stop for the bait. They are bought in from North Carolina I'm told, just a little food for thought if you can't find'em down here.:thumbup:
Mel
Catchone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts