Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pleasure of fishing with a friend this morning (Saturday) and early afternoon on his boat. We left Rudee at 0930 to be met by 2-3 ft seas and a brisk NE wind. Air temp was just breaking the freezing mark.
Try as we did, we were not able to catch any rocks trolling at the 2-3 mile line from straight out of Rudee all the way to the Green can for 4 hours. We heard of some captains catching around the green can but those reports were few and far between. Water temp was 43... Lots of bait, all on the bottom. No birds... Great to out and great to be alive. Merry Christmas everyone. Fortunately there are still a few days left in 2010 to catch that elusive citation..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah it sucked! We caught one 32" fish so at least not a skunk. You might as well put the boats away with all this cold weather the fish are all well out to 8 to 12 miles. That is where the pics from the fishing center are coming from.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We had exactly same luck. Arrived off Rudee Inlet at 10 am and troled for 6 hours without a single bump. Marked lots of bait also, very few gannets
and quiet radio all day. Heard of some fish caught, but didn't see many all day, even though we trolled by dozens of boats. As far as we could tell, most fish were caught on the 3 mile line using white mojos on the bottom and trolling very slowly. Probably my worse skunk in years. Five rods out, using all kinds of bait and NADA.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I talked with several charter captains ( I am not a "charter" captain) before going out . All directed me to areas within the 3 mile line. These are captains who share their info with me on a regular basis.. The fish were thick and ready about 2.5 miles off the beach,once we found them 7 fish hit the box in under an hour.We found our fish away from the mob of boats out of Rudee. I would discourage putting the boat away just yet,The season is still young. Finding slightly warmer water was the key 42.5=no fish where as 43.5 found them feeding like crazy.
Yeah it sucked! We caught one 32" fish so at least not a skunk. You might as well put the boats away with all this cold weather the fish are all well out to 8 to 12 miles. That is where the pics from the fishing center are coming from.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's quite unfortunate you did not many catch fish yesterday...I feel you need to re-think the fact that you are saying the fishing center fleet caught fish 8 - 12 mi out, when in fact the fish were caught within the 3 mi limit...Please get your facts in order before posting false info...not trying to blast you, just setting the record straight! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
678 Posts
We fished Saturday from Cape Henry to the Ramada with my cousin and his brother in law from 8 am to 11:30. NADA. I heard a few fish here and there, but we had not even a single hit. Ran into some folks at the boatel that found them 1-2 miles off Rudee, and by the time we got the intel, we were back at the dock as the guys had to be in Newport News by 3.
It was a little rougher than the weatherman had predicted, and the luck was not with us.
Congrats to those who found them, as they are there and temp is key. The cold water flowing out of the bay has the fish around VA Beach pushed offshore. You can run far north and find them, or start running south in a few weeks and find them off Corolla and south.
Yes there are fish further out, but there will be fish from the beach out different days. Depends on the temp and the bait for sure.
Thanks to Stephen for the intel, wish we could have taken advantage of it better.

Cary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.