Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing GOOD lately on TW around the upper bay islands. Last evening I could not buy a fish. Finally caught a ton of shorts under some birds, east side of Pooles but I guess that is why they call it fishing NOT catching. Saw a few other guys trying. Any luck? I was the guy in the Seacat(Wet Whiskers). Thought we would slay them last night. But, I did have to leave before dark. They may have turned on LATE. BILL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wet Wiskers,

I was out around Pooles yesterday afternoon, 3-4pm, I think I might have seen you working the south-east Point of Pooles working in close.

I went out towards the shipping channel and lumps on the east side of Pooles to start yesterday from the GP, found some birds working and some marks, but we couldn't jig anything up in 30 to 15 foot of water. This area has yielded zero fish for me all season, which stinks because it is the closest to my dock!

I decided to run south to MOW, which has been holding some fish the past two weeks. We found lots of birds circling, not necessarily working boiling water like I saw last week, but we found a bunch of nice marks and bait and did quite well.

Ended up with a total of 7 on the boat in a short time between 5:00 and 6pm at MOW, drifting south from the Northern side of the shoal to the south slope, the fish were mainly stacked off the south slope, which made sense considering the incoming tide and northern winds.

The nicest of the Stripers were 24" caught by me and 27"inches caught by my fishing buddy Matt-X. We kept the 27" (he was spent after the fight after we tried to revive him, so he went in the box) and one 18".

All fish were caught on stingslivers and hopkins shorties.

I had first for me, I have been fishing jig-teaser fly rigs (thanks to the TF'ers who put pictures up of their rigs for me to copy) all season but had never had a double hook up. I ended up with a 16" on the teaser and the 24" on the Hopkins at the same time, what a fight! Both were released back safely afterwards.

Headed in around 6pm, really nice smooth ride back to the GP and into Joppatowne, man I love the mid-week fall trips, nothing but diehards and smart boaters out there!

Looks like we have some nice fish in the area if you do some searching. In addition good current and birds have been really helpful for my good success in finding fish this fall.

One last note, we cut open the stomachs of the keepers to see what they were eating after cleaning them, they had bay anchovies and Slivers sides inside, hence the effectives of the metal jigs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith, I think I saw you heading down. I should have went south as well. THANKS for the HONEST and detailed report. BILL

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
thanks for the report Bill, even the non-catching reports help

will be out Sunday AM, same area, launching from Dundee.

Will have an LTJ rookie with me, hope to put him on some working birds.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Thanks, Bill. My top-water bite died last night too. Had fish previously as of Monday. The fish were holding in the same area, but not surface feeding.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bill, no sweat giving TF a "Honest Report", I loved that line.

I will probably head out again next week, good luck to all working the upper bay.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Bill,
Don't feel like the Lone Stranger. I went out on Thursday from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm and struggled. I marked some really nice marks north of Thomas Point, which I worked with jigs and even slow trolled some and I didn't get even a tap. I felt really bad until I read Skips post saying he had a hard time.

I am starting to think when I fish, I shut the whole bay down.

We will get them next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts