Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just bought an Excalibur recurve crossbow. Cool thing, but it's VERY loud. I'm hoping that bolt speed will make that a non-issue, but it suprised me and my two brothers.

Any ideas on quieting those things down? Are recurves quieter than compounds?

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are all loud. I have been to crossbow shoots and they make alot noise. As for the speed they are just ketching up to where the bow have been. Most bow maker are going the other way. I just got a new Hoyt and it only makes a very small thud. I can't believe how quiet it is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I was shooting my Parker Ultralite 31 at my neighbors house yesterday afternoon when his brother pulled up and pulls out a crossbow he had just bought. I too was amazed at how loud it was and no faster than my Parker. It was a Darton 150# deal with scope on it. He must have been reading this board as he was trying to shoot 80 yard shots and lost all but 1 of his bolts. It shot ok out to about 40 yards but that was where the acuraccy ended.

I'll stick with what I have.

This is a fine example of what the crossbow season is gonna do. My neighbor and myself had our 100 acres all to ourself during bowseason until now. This guy has only hunted with a club and has no clue about bow hunting. He has already built himself to huge and gaudy ladder stands to put up. [sad]

DEAN

·
Registered
27 Posts
ketch69
sorry you have to share your hu nting property. Maybe you guys need to set up some rule so everyone will enjoy the hunt. I lease with a friend and we get along great, but his friend are aholes. We finally devided the property. They hunt one side I hunt the other. Bill and I are aloud every where,but we don't want to bother each other so we stay away anyway. Not sure this will help you , but it work for me. As for accuracy I told you that. I just Robin Hooded an Arrow at 30 yard with my Hoyt portec Sat. And man is it quiet.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The problem I have is my neighbor owns most of the property. If I gripe much it will hurt more than help. I don't have a problem with others hunting it just bothers me when guys that don't have a clue want to just jump in the game. I have worked hard on this peice of property and hate to see the hunting screwed up. We,mostly I have put in two small but very productive food plots. Whats gonna happen when this fella starts winging arrows from this noisy ass crossbow, the bucks will go elswhere. He was at our small shooting range with a friend this afternoon, both shooting crossbows. I'm gonna talk to my neighbor and see if we can nip this in the bud.

DEAN

·
Registered
27 Posts
KETCH69

I guess you will have to try to find where the deer go when he around. Sorry to hear this, but it sound like he's not the kind of guy that will put much effert in hunting maybe he won't spend enough time in the woods to mess things up.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The problem will be that he will se plenty deer. There are little to no good food sources within several miles of my plots so in the early season before they get much pressure they really come to them. I talked to my neighbor and he kinda feels the same way I do but its his brother so we will see.

DEAN

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can already picture it.......It's early morning. There's a slight fog over the soybean field. I sit silently, patiently, anxiously awaiting the first sight of the majestic whitetail on opening day of archery season. As the sun rises the birds begin to sing their songs. A slight breeze brings the smell of soybeans to my nose. The first whitetail of the year shows in the distance as the fog begins to lift. It's a large doe, all alone feeding in the field. She begins to feed my way. As she approaches 30 yards and lowers her head to feed I draw back my bow. I settle my sight just behind her shoulder as she turns broadside at 28 yards. I loose an arrow into the morning air and it strikes cleanly on it's mark. The doe expires within 20 yards and I begin my descent. As I approach to claim my harvest I see other deer in the distance feeding, completely oblivious to my very existence as not a sound has been heard........until.......the sound of crossbows begin to echo through the woods as if the opening day of shotgun season had arrived early. Deer begin to scatter. Early archery season will never be the same again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.