Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a notice on my boat I am unable to put the boat on the side yard. It is over 6' in height. WTF! Our property taxes are so high in Norfolk it is unreal. Just 2 years ago I got a 30.00 ticket for leaving it on the street. I called and asked the city where I could park it they told me on the side yard as long as my trailer tongue was 5' behind the front of the house. The guy who gave me the warning told me to park in the driveway or the street. My drive isn't long enough for a boat. He did tell me a neighbor complained. I guess the boat is hurting his feelings or something. I have 2 weeks to move it or else a 30.00 ticket every time he comes in my neighborhood. Just plain wrong! :wacko:

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Billy I thought I read somewhere that you could park it next to your house as long as you have some type of carport ???

That is a bummer.

Buy a old clunker car that will pass inspection and put some tags on it.. Paint it bright pink or psychedelic colors and park it on the street and see how the a$$ likes looking at that everyday. :clap:(Course your other nsighbors may not invite you to anymore BBQ's)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Same $#!+ here in VAGINA BEACH...Poquoson is the only BOAT FRIENDLY city in Hampton Roads...would be great if we all made a concerted effort to get every HR city to change the regs to mirror Poquosons...

Section 5-2. Permitted uses.
In this district, structures to be erected or land to be used shall be for one of the following uses:
(1) One single-family dwelling on a single lot of record.
(2) Churches, schools and other public and semipublic facilities, with a conditional use permit.
(3) Parks and playgrounds of a noncommercial nature.
(4) Accessory buildings located in the back yard only.
(5) Private garage on the same lot with the building, not maintained for the service of the public or operated or conducted for commercial or industrial use. No such private garage shall be located or erected on any residential block closer to the street than the setback line for the residence on that street or side street.
(6) Public utilities, including poles, lines, distribution transformers, pipes, meters, and other facilities necessary for the provisionand maintenance of public utilities, including water and sewage systems. Electrical transmission lines higher than 40 feet and substations are excluded.
(7) Home occupation signs, identification signs, temporary signs and nonelectrical temporary real estate signs which meet the requirements of the sign ordinance [appendix D].
(8) Church bulletin boards and church identification signs shall meet the requirements of the sign ordinance.
(9) The parking or storage of major recreational equipment including, but not limited to, travel trailers, utility trailers, pickup campers or coaches, motorized dwellings, tent trailers, boats and boat trailers, houseboats, or similar equipment normally used for recreational purposes shall be permitted as an accessory use subject however, to the following regulations and requirements:
a. Such major recreational equipment shall not be used for living, sleeping, housekeeping, or business purposes, nor shall such major recreational equipment be connected to any utility service, except for temporary periods solely for replenishing supplies, or for the servicing or repair of equipment.
b. Such major recreational equipment shall not be parked or stored in the front yard in any residential district, except that: (1) such major recreational equipment may be parked or stored in the front yard for a period not to exceed 48 hours for the sole purpose of loading or unloading, or (2) in the event such major recreational equipment cannot physically be placed within an enclosed garage, or cannot physically be placed in the side or rear yard of a residence without encroaching upon the lands of another,or obstructing the only means of ingress and egress to accessory buildings, or without damage to permanent accessory buildings or trees measuring at least three inches in diameter at breast height, then one piece of major recreational equipment, or a combination thereof designed to be used and operated as one unit, may be parked or stored on an improved driveway at a point furthermost from the public street right-of-way upon receipt of a recreational equipment storage permit from the zoning administrator.
c. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prohibit commercial trailers from loading and unloading in aresidential district, nor to prohibit the temporary use of a trailer, on site, by a contractor, while construction is in progress.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Billy,

I experienced a similar problem in Newport News. In NN there are no laws against parking your boat in the driveway. Some subdivisions do have restrictions, mine ISN't one, I wouldn't have bought my house! One of my neighbors went as far as leaving a vulgar sign on my door threatening me to move my boat out of my driveway. ???? Turns out my other neighbor who fishes with me found out who did it. After a second incident where they complained about me making chum in the backyard and their stupid dog eating it, I said screw it and on Labor Day I parked the freakin boat and truck right in front of the guys house and left it overnight. The police got involved the next day and asked me kindly to move boat. I checked with a lawyer friend, who fishes with me too, and he said as long as I have tags on the truck, the boat and the truck motor starts I can park anywhere on public streets. No more incidents to date.

Good luck with your problem. Yes neighbors can be [email protected]$ and the law sucks.

South Paw

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I feel for you...

Billy,

I experienced a similar problem in Newport News.

Sorry for the double post. Sh&T like this pisses me off. I can barely contain myself.

-South Paw

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if the boat is attached to the truck ready to roll down the road I can leave it on the street?

I am going to check that out. I will park it right in front of his house so he can look at ******* everyday!:clap:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
WHAT A JACK ASS!!!!!

You can park it at my house Billy..........LOL

·
Registered
421 Posts
Be careful Billy, it can go from a simple $35.00 ticket for parking on an unimproved surface to a full blown civil suite against you for code violations. I would not tell you this if I had not already experienced the same situation. The first thing they will ask you is... Did you own the boat before you purchased the house? If not you should have taken adequate storage into consideration prior to your purchase of the boat. Parking your boat in front of your house in Norfolk is a loosing situation unless you are loading or unloading.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I understand that but it's on the side of the house tongue of trailer is 5' behind front of house. This is unreal. ARGGGGGGGG!:helpsmilie:
Any Norfolk police on here to give me some options?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah I understand that but it's on the side of the house tongue of trailer is 5' behind front of house. This is unreal. ARGGGGGGGG!:helpsmilie:
Any Norfolk police on here to give me some options?
Norfolk Police are the guys enforcing the codes and giving me the tickets, but its cheaper than Taylors's Landing so I will pay them a couple times a year.!!!

Are you parked on an un-improved surface (Grass)?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
I would ask for the statute that he was quoting from. Sometimes you find the interpretation of codes pretty far fetched. I don't see any violation if it was the codes quoted above except that you probably not applied for the permit they cite.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Norfolk Police are the guys enforcing the codes and giving me the tickets, but its cheaper than Taylors's Landing so I will pay them a couple times a year.!!!

Are you parked on an un-improved surface (Grass)?
Well sord of I have crush and run down but grass has grown there.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Billy sorry to hear about that sounds like BS to me i don't understand it myself... I mean you buy a freaking house pay your **** its your yard you should be able to do what you want with it... I haven't had a problem with my boat yet in Portsmouth but im counting my chickens..brandon

P.S. If only neighbors would mind their own damn business..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts