Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Would love to get out to it but the soonest I can go is Saturday if I can get a crew together. Looooooong run from the Northern Neck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Put lines in at 7am just past the tip on the north wall. worked our way east until finally finding a few fish on the ne wall of the norfolk. Went 2 for 3 on 30lb yfts, and one nice gaffer mahi(in December!?) At 1130 we switched to tiles, quickly getting our 4 man limit. Heard of the bite picking up at the 540 line above the canyon(300 fathoms) Switched back to trolling up that way, saw some fish busting occasionally but just couldnt get aymore bites. Temps on the ride out were mid to upper 50's....temps at the canyon were 64-65. Good luck if you go!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put lines in at 7am just past the tip on the north wall. worked our way east until finally finding a few fish on the ne wall of the norfolk. Went 2 for 3 on 30lb yfts, and one nice gaffer mahi(in December!?) At 1130 we switched to tiles, quickly getting our 4 man limit. Heard of the bite picking up at the 540 line above the canyon(300 fathoms) Switched back to trolling up that way, saw some fish busting occasionally but just couldnt get aymore bites. Temps on the ride out were mid to upper 50's....temps at the canyon were 64-65. Good luck if you go!
Thanks for the report Steve. Going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I plan on going out Saturday, still on the fence about running all the way to the canyon or hitting the inshore wrecks for seabass, guess I will wait and see what the reports look like and make a last minute call. We have had a lot of "shoulda been here yesterday" days out of Oregon inlet lately so I'm leaning towards the seabass unless they wack the tuna good today & tomorrow. I may have room for 1 or 2 if anybody wants to "HO"

Chris 757-675-7907
Hydra-sports 2900vx
"Hydra-Therapy"

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hey Taylor, I'm planning on running out of VB on Saturday. A dozen boats fished and did really well yesterday, buddy caught 15 YFT. Said everyone was catching and a couple boats had bigeyes. I've got a friend fishing tomorrow as well. If the bite appears over I'm staying home but won't make call til Friday evening. Boat name FLY,N FISH. Give a shout Saturday, planning on canyon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice I'll definitely give you a shout. The talk of eyeballs really gets me amped...although I'll be happy with a yft or two. Good luck and look for you.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did have a lot of fish to clean but they were not tuna. :((

Put together a last minute offshore trip on Thursday after seeing reports of YFT. I had taken off the boat all my offshore gear including my new bly riggers but put them back on Wed. After all that effort, we were a day late and a dollar short on the tuna. We put lines in on the south wall of the canyon. There was a boat on the north wall with nothing going on and a boat on the 450 that just boated 2 YFT so we headed there. No other bites for us or any boats in the am th...at I heard of. One boat got 4 in the afternoon on the canyon and an eyeball at dusk. I see a band of cold water pushed in right where we were fishing, wish I had a good SST before we left. We gave up on the tuna at noon and filled the box with big bluelines to 15 lbs and a really nice class of BSB with 4 and 5 pounders in 300 feet around the 300 line. Fished until sunset and ran home in flat seas. Still a great day of fishing. Would have liked some sushi but the deep drop bite is good with no dogs in sight yet.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Pretty work, Mike.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hey Taylor, I'm holding off til Sunday. Bunch of boats out there today, rough seas, no fish. At least that's what I'm being told. Water near 62.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts