Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to come down for the north carolina spring offshore run on a buddys 24 Parker. Was wondering how far i would have to run, where th best spot is to launch due to currents, wind. What is a good wind to fish offshore off north carolina. Any assistance would be welcome. thank you

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a 24 Grady and have found the winds in Hatteras often blow hard in the spring. For the past two years we went the last week of April and only got three fishing days in. Last year a sane person would of only got in one day of fishing, but we pushed the limit and got three.

Less than 15 knots is ideal, but have been out in 20-25 knots plus.
A north wind makes the gulf stream a mess but the inlet is easier.

If I recall a SE wind makes the inlet interesting at low tide.

From Hatteras Inlet the typical run is about 25 miles to the gulf stream.
Hatteras is a more forgiving inlet than Oregon.

Oregon Inlet run is about 35 miles, (so I am told as I have never launched from there)

We are headed down on May 13, for the week. I went for May in hopes of better weather.
YFT will still be around and billfish will be showing up.

I am sure others will pipe in.

As far as locations, look at the sea surface charts and find the temp break which is often substantial in the spring.
Head for the break.
Sometimes a 180 heading out of the inlet is ideal for 20 plus miles, but you need the sat charts. Pick up some local charts of the area.

The locals use Loran so bring a chart of have a GPS that reflects Loran coordinates.

Teach's Lair Marina is a great place and very close to the Inlet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.