Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What a WASTE!!! I pray somebody will change the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The repeated slaughter and wonton waste of stripers in NC is truly despicable. The guy who took the pics reports there were thousands of fish about a mile and a half wide stretching three to five miles long. Be careful not to count the birds in these pics. It is a little hard to tell which are fish and which are birds but there are plenty of stripers. Unfortunately the channel ten helicopter that has a better gyro stabilized camera did not get these shots.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The corruption from top to bottom in NC that continues to allow this is astounding.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Brandon...thanks for posting this. Sickening but maybe it will get someone's attention. In MD I would be glad to be part of a survallence group. Just let me know when and where, anywhere from Tilghman to Saxis.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Here is part of the actual report from the camera guy. Pics were taken this past Thursday February 3.

Well, I just got back from a helicopter photo recon trip south of Oregon Inlet. There are THOUSANDS of discarded Striped Bass covering an area approx. 1-11/2 miles wide and 3-5 miles long (at least). I had several calls around 1:00 telling me of floaters as far as the eye could see at Oregon Inlet. We arrived on scene in the helicopter around 2:45 - 3:00, by then the tide & wind had spread the fish over a large area. I took the photos as best I could, they're not great but they do get the point across. The WAVY TV 10 helicopter was in the area earlier but could not find the mass of fish, which is unfortunate because they have a gyro-stabilized HD camera that really could have captured the totality of the carnage. I would predict that many of these fish will end up on the beach somewhere in the Rodanthe area by morning if the winds remain northeast overnight.

·
Registered
968 Posts
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The repeated slaughter and wonton waste of stripers in NC is truly despicable. The guy who took the pics reports there were thousands of fish about a mile and a half wide stretching three to five miles long. Be careful not to count the birds in these pics. It is a little hard to tell which are fish and which are birds but there are plenty of stripers. Unfortunately the channel ten helicopter that has a better gyro stabilized camera did not get these shots.<o:p></o:p>
The corruption from top to bottom in NC that continues to allow this is astounding.<o:p></o:p>
I guess DMF couldn't tell which were dead fish or birds when they sent up a plane to investigate. Pat. Smith says officials counted 200 fish offshore..... 41 along a 4 mile stretch of Pea Island.... and 10 off the surf.

·
Registered
502 Posts
And if you would like to speak to someone in NC about striper fishing....

http://www.ncfisheries.net/mfc/ncmfcom.htm
Thanks for posting list. Hope every concerned fisherman will contact each and every one of the people on the list and let them know how disgusted all reasonable people are at this shameful/greedy behavior. I plan to contact VA officials as well and urge them to apply pressure to the short sighted jackasses in NC. Reminds me of that famous quote during the macarthy hearings. "at long last sir, have you no shame". Don't mean to rant but these recent events make me sick to my stomach

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I guess DMF couldn't tell which were dead fish or birds when they sent up a plane to investigate. Pat. Smith says officials counted 200 fish offshore..... 41 along a 4 mile stretch of Pea Island.... and 10 off the surf.
The guy in the helicopter taking the pics estimated thousands of fish overall. One pic could not encompass 5 miles of fish. It was only a snapshot of a portion of the fish. Others on the scene estimated thousands also. I seriously question the 200 fish number.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
There's probably 200 fish in a 1/3 section of the first picture.
Dave-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The entire situation in NC is despicable from the fish managers to the trawler captains, etc. But in fairness and for the sake of accuracy, some of those white spots in the first pic are undoubtedly birds. Locals who could get out later in the day (which was rough) confirmed the number to be in the thousands, not hundreds.<o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Are those floating dead Rock pre spawn ????????? Got to wonder why they float in NC but not in our bay. Salinity levels are close.

Memory serves me right - this very problem was not allowed to be talked about at DNR meetings.

More of this I see - more I start to agree with making Rock a game fish.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Dave-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The entire situation in NC is despicable from the fish managers to the trawler captains, etc. But in fairness and for the sake of accuracy, some of those white spots in the first pic are undoubtedly birds. Locals who could get out later in the day (which was rough) confirmed the number to be in the thousands, not hundreds.<o:p></o:p>
Bill, its tough to tell them apart. Regardless, its an obvious massive waste of resource. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts