Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of Rudee this morning for the Norfolk Canyon. My plan was to go just north of the Canyon and troll north a bit. Lines out around 7:30 in 100Fathoms on the 550 line. I managed to get the WWB line out and had just got the first long rigger out when the WWB line gets hammered. Got the skunk off the boat with a nice 35-40lb Yellowfin. Lines back out again and as I was starting on the starboard longrigger the port longrigger gets hit and missed. Whatever it was came back a second time but missed it again. As I was pulling that one back in to check the hoo the WWB line gets hit again. A second Yellowfin in the boat, just a bit bigger than the first. I thought this was the beginning of a great day but after that the bite shut down. We worked the area until around noon with no more hits. Plenty of birds in the area, not but a few dolphin.

We then headed back to the Canyon and started trolling down the north wall. Around half way up the Canyon I decided to head over to the south wall and try around some of the Lobster balls there. Saw plenty of dolphin and one big hammerhead right in the middle of the canyou. Finished up the day picking up three Mahi off of the Lobster Balls.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Headed out of Rudee this morning for the Norfolk Canyon. My plan was to go just north of the Canyon and troll north a bit. Lines out around 7:30 in 100Fathoms on the 550 line. I managed to get the WWB line out and had just got the first long rigger out when the WWB line gets hammered. Got the skunk off the boat with a nice 35-40lb Yellowfin. Lines back out again and as I was starting on the starboard longrigger the port longrigger gets hit and missed. Whatever it was came back a second time but missed it again. As I was pulling that one back in to check the hoo the WWB line gets hit again. A second Yellowfin in the boat, just a bit bigger than the first. I thought this was the beginning of a great day but after that the bite shut down. We worked the area until around noon with no more hits. Plenty of birds in the area, not but a few dolphin.

We then headed back to the Canyon and started trolling down the north wall. Around half way up the Canyon I decided to head over to the south wall and try around some of the Lobster balls there. Saw plenty of dolphin and one big hammerhead right in the middle of the canyou. Finished up the day picking up three Mahi off of the Lobster Balls.
Tried to raise you on the radio mid morning, no joy. We put out on the north wall at 6:30 anad had two small yellow fin on board but two were throw backs. We thought it was going to be a good day even with the water temps being around so we worked the north wall with no more success. Moved to the south wall had a a lot of short hits with only one small mahi to show for it. Looks like the eddy was well south of the canyon. Oh well saw lots of life in the canyon but not much anywhere else.

The boat name is Goin Deep I know you were looking for a buddy boat maybe next time.

Jim

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my crew heard you calling while I was working on the spread, when he told me about it he couldn't remember who called or what channel. Hard to get good help sometimes :)

Probably a good thing I didn't hear you, we had just caught our second tuna then and I would have probably called you up north a bit. As it turned out the bite turned off after that and it would have been a wild goose chase for you. The two I did get were nice though, turns out I am bad a judging size. One weighed 39 pounds and the other weighed 44. This was without the head or guts so they were probably 45-50 pound fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts