Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HTML:
[HTML][HTML]
[/HTML][/HTML]Capt. Mike and one of his other guides picked me up from the house about 4:45 Thursday so I wouldnt have to drive across the island. Got to the 42' Foxy Lady and started our way offshore. I had mentioned the slow boat that I had gone out on and he said something about the boats being too old or something like that, but backed it up by saying they raise alot of fish high speed trolling to and from out there. We get to a bouy about 2 miles outside and I help them load the bait tank while we watch Galapagos Sharks swimming around trying to eat our bait, pretty cool to watch. Get about 50 or so then point it north Im guessing these islands kinda throw my direction off when I dont know where I am to begin with.

We get to a FAB (fish attracting buoy) one of 10 or so that were placed around the island for structure to fish around. Put out a couple live baits but no love, then we start marking tuna so we rig a couple rods with light fluoro and believe it or not CIRCLE hooks! 4 rods get sent out I get picked up and the mate, Matt, his gets picked up. 2 in the boat, one about 15lbs. the other smaller. We chunk some more catching another 1 or 2 but then we briddle up 2 of the tuna and slow troll right around this bouy until we would mark the tuna and we pulled out some high-speed jigs and I thought to myself oh HELL YEA! I have ridden in this rodeo before! 2 jigs go down, mine comes up with a football. Ok, lets make another drift see if it will work again. 2 jigs go down, I get another football! Startin to see some repetition here :D While we were jigging one of the bridled yellowfins gets nervous and pops the rubberband, it had some marks on its back but they didnt look like bill rash. Oh well. High speed trolled back towards the harbour with 5 yellowfin and swapped stories and talked about diferent techniques. I mentioned that I was gonna be here till Wednesday night and if they wanted to go out for a fun trip to give me a call, hell they took right up on it.

Mikes friend Dave, another Captain said lets go tomorrow. He invited to take me out and chase some split tail that night, crash at his house then get up early and be on the flats first thing in the morning. Which helped me out alot because transportation is tough. We raised a couple split tails that night, they were only window shopping though and faded out shortly after. Went home got a couple hours of sleep and we were on the water in no time. Conditions were AWESOME, except the overcast skies which makes sight fishing tough. So we tried exploring trolling small rapala lures between spots in the flats boat (16' starcraft) then we would drop spoons and jigs and all kinds of lures ddown beside buoy chains and jig them back up, no luck. So he said lets float across the flats and blind cast and maybe catch some trevally. I ended up with 4 bone fish and a blue trevally and he caught 2 yellow spot trevally. All just blind casting. Pretty cool and fun day on the water just exploring around and trying to catch something new.

Met some pretty cool guys the last couple days over here. I think I got them talked into coming and hanging a cobia and chasing the big schools of Red Drum on a fly-rod next summer.

4 more days to get home, but who is counting...

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

forgot to hit the spell check so forgive me...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Awesome report Ben that definitely sounds better than your previous trip.... now its time to head home and stack up on some of them big stripers... i look forward to the pics have a safe trip back bro...Brandon

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Real nice Ben. Sounds like things have turned around for you on this trip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts