Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Very cool! Glad you posted better pic. I can only guess these taking the place of
something missing in the bay, They do tug pretty well don't they!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The past week has been unusual for me. I caught lizard fish in both the G. Wicomico and the Bay. Now, False Albacore. I think Charlie is right. Nature is trying to adjust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you hear about animals adjusting to the warmer weather...pretty sure those fish are from tropical waters.
They are a very migratory species ranging from Rhode Island to North Carolina to Florida depending on the time of year. Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York are just beginning to experience the start of their fall run. In about a month or so, the NC coast will be swarming with them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never caught one here. I have caught them farther south, randomly. Also caught a really big one in the gulfstream earlier this year.

Above post is right, they migrate. They don't come inshore to spawn, but they migrate north/south every year. If you enjoy catching them, October is a great month off the NC coast as they will come right up to the beach in huge numbers and hit bait balls on the surface. As for the lizard fish, they seem to arrive in our area randomly. I have caught maybe 7-8 lizard fish in the NN. They will hit small spoons trolled at bluefish speeds.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Another New Species

While light tackle fishing for specks without success, I caught a new-to-me species with very distinct markings. I didn't think about taking a picture, but the markings were so distinct of a grouper that I looked on the VA. fish ID web site to identify it. It wasn't listed. I looked for more photos of fish and identified the fish as a juvenile black grouper. Article said that juveniles may go into shallower waters such as in creeks until eventually moving out to deeper water. It was about 10 inches long and pulled hard enough that I thought at first that I might have hooked up with the elusive speck. Released without a picture.
Juvenile black grouper one day and juvenile false albacore on the next trip. Strange happenings indeed.
Tom

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I am seeing ALOT more of the Gag grouper this yr.
About the False Albe, Has anyone here tired to eat one? we did try for bait,worked great.
My fishing buddy kept 3 yesterday and is going to smoke them.along with several3-4# blue we caught .

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am seeing ALOT more of the Gag grouper this yr.
About the False Albe, Has anyone here tired to eat one? we did try for bait,worked great.
My fishing buddy kept 3 yesterday and is going to smoke them.along with several3-4# blue we caught .
I've always heard they were too "bloody" to eat. That said I would give one a go. Smoking would seem a safe bet and maybe give them a milk soak. Lots of folks also say blues are too fishy to eat etc.. and they taste great to me. I have heard the same about buffleheads and mergansers but I like them too. I suspect what most people don't like is the fact that they actually have a taste or flavor other than that of loads of salt or sugar. Give em a go and let us know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know about when they get bigger but the smaller one was not bloody. Clean looking firm white meat!
Did it have teeth? There was someplace I read that said the tuna species that can eat you ( have teeth ) are great to eat but the others without teeth are better for cat food

·
Registered
218 Posts
These fish are frequently caught in the same waters at the same times of year.

False Albacore (not good to eat, frequently described as dog or cat food)

Atlantic Bonito (good to eat, cook like tuna - raw or seared)

Trailering your boat down to NC in late April is the best time to find the Bonito. Not sure if they make a run close to the bay. But out of Morehead City or Southport, for a month or so they are breaking right off of the beach. There is great spanish mac fishing then as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
These fish are frequently caught in the same waters at the same times of year.

False Albacore (not good to eat, frequently described as dog or cat food)

Atlantic Bonito (good to eat, cook like tuna - raw or seared)

Trailering your boat down to NC in late April is the best time to find the Bonito. Not sure if they make a run close to the bay. But out of Morehead City or Southport, for a month or so they are breaking right off of the beach. There is great spanish mac fishing then as well.
Correct. Bonito good, albies not so much. Caught both in New England in the late 90's and we used to trailer the Jones Bros to Harkers every Nov. Always a ball to catch the albacore, but they are not table fare. IMO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts