Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with suggestions for a good internet service provider on the Northern Neck? I have an on-line business at home and go through a lot of data, about 40GB a month. We're located just off the Rapp near Morattico and currently getting access through Verizon using a Jetpak hotspot and the monthly charges are through the roof. I've been trying to find reviews of Northern Neck WiFi and HughesNet or any other reliable ISP but can't seem to find much, and the 2 or 3 reviews I did find were less than encouraging.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ~

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have heard DO NOT use Hughsnet from everyone I asked. I use MP WiFi.. They are partnered with NN WiFi.
I have to say the first couple mths were not the best, service dropped and came back quickly 2-3 x a week.

They did find the problem but it took a while.. I don't understand it but they say it was because someone up the road was plugging their equipment into wrong ports on their equipment, causing my service to drop.
Works fine most of time now.. Rainy days it does drop bandwith.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right that they're somehow connected Charlie. Both show the same coverage maps and tower locations. I've only found a couple of reviews for NNWiFi and a few for HughesNet and they all thrashed the service itself as well as the lack of customer service for both companies.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
We started with MP wifi 3-4 years ago. Hated it. 2 years ago Metrocast became available we switched. Life is great now.
In "MP Wifi defense", several of my neighbors still with MP Wifi are saying service has improved greatly in last 2 years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tried getting NNWiFi a few months back. Placed several calls to no avail. They basically said parts of their network had been down for repairs for a while and had no time for a site survey. Their follow up and attitude left a lot to be desired. Sounds like network is lacking. No thanks.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I think you're right that they're somehow connected Charlie. Both show the same coverage maps and tower locations. I've only found a couple of reviews for NNWiFi and a few for HughesNet and they all thrashed the service itself as well as the lack of customer service for both companies.
BTW, many in my area say MP WiFi is Awesome! local Businesses too!
my problem may have beenbad luck but----- it was way better that my Verizon internet !!
If you can get metrocast, It is great, had it for more than yr and it only cut off 1 time because bad storm/car ran into pole. It cost a lot more also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do not get Hughes net. Worthless. Very slow, very expensive. Their goal is to get you to sign up then get you to pay for more speed and more space. Even with the extra speed it is slow. So slow you cannot use it for work and anything else except for email and yahoo. Cannot run videos or games I use the verizon, it is faster and expensive but I have no other choice. Other companies don't run a wire to my house. With no wire I have to use the satellite internet services.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Metro cast gets good reviews from you guys and the comments I've seen on-line were good as well. But because we're almost a mile off the paved road there's no way I'm going to be able to get a hard wired service. I just called them and that's all they offer. If I end up changing service it looks like the only choices are NNwifi and MPwifi. I called NN last week to schedule a site survey and must have spoken with whoever Whittyfish spoke to. Just had kind of a sour attitude. Oh well, we'll see. Right now it's costing me around $320 a month, and if I run over the data allowance it's even more. So I sure hope there's something better out there. Thanks again

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also live 1/2 mile off paved road and have thought about renting a trencher and running whatever type cable they use from the house to the road. That way the cable company can hook to it (as long as they are already in your area). If you figure what you save per month plus better service it might be worth doing it. likely cost $250 to rent the machine for a weekend and whatever the cable costs. Unlimited cable internet is about 50-75 per month. I pay $150.00 just for the Verizon satellite internet and often go over my limit. Its much faster than Hughes net but not as fast as cable internet.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Strangely-- I got a call today, MP WiFi has been working to upgrade my tower . He (Kieth) was checking to see how my service has been...
It HAS been working great for the last few weeks I am going to try a movie tonight to check if bandwidth is better on raining days.
(it was good on movie over the weekend)

Working Great! looks like cable!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had the Verizon hot spot thing too ... got wayyyyyy too expensive. Switched to MetroCast ... much better service. Even the kids don't complain now when they are down. So that in itself is a win!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts