Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to NW River Park this morning for a couple of hours to try my luck for some trout. The lake has been stocked with trout again by VGIF as part of the Urban Fishing Program.

The ranger on-site said that fishing has been good this week. Upon making my first cast, I just barely put my rod down when I had a fish on. Pulled in a 13" rainbow (biggest of the day for me) right off the bat using corn suspended beneath a float. About an hour went by and then rainbow #2 is on (corn again). While reeling in the trout, my second rod has one on also (power bait fished on bottom). I get both fish in and I just needed one more to get my limit for the day, but it was not to be.

There was probably no more than a half-dozen others fishing this morning, maybe due to the chilly temps and breezy conditions. However, I think everyone caught something while I was there. Seems like most others preferred the power bait.

If you've never fished there before it's a nice place. I plan on going back again, maybe next time with my 5-year old son.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm glad they've revived this program. While it isn't the most sporting of fishing (yes, floating powerbait on the bottom is the ticket there), it's nice to have some fresh trout for the frying pan without a 6 hour RT drive. It's also a great place to take kids and a blast to see some of them catch what may be their first fish. They used to also stock a lake in Newport News (Hunington maybe?), but I'm not sure where else the program is being implemented locally. It was a hidden secret until now. Get 'em while you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good job....but be careful next time because you are only allowed to fish with one rod at a time. You can have more thatn one rod with you, but only fish with one. I heard the next stocking will be in Feb. sometime.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My former boss Fishes a VDGIF stocked pond near Front Royal,Va. with very similar results. He also uses corn under a float, but when thing are slow, he throws on a meal worm for good measure.;)

Mark
1999 230 Sportcraft C/C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts