Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a brownout at my house last night for a few seconds only. The BIG TV in the family room came back up but whinned and blew a gasket. House smelled like an electrical fire but only the TV was fried. Actually saw a spark go from the back of the TV right to the wall.

A few mnoths ago, Virginia Power sent me info about how you could buy surge protection, blackout protection and lightning protection. Net / net was that I bought the policy for $6.00 (yes, six dollars) a month which is in my bill and I have coverage for up to $8,000.00.

I originally bought it thinking that I really wanted to protect my air conditioning compressors and such but called Virginia Power today, filed the claim and they told me to go out, buy the new TV and send them the bill for full reimbursement. Guess I just saved about $1,200.00.

Just FYI -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True - homeowners covers it but the deductible applies and I try not to use homeowners unless its the big deal.

·
Registered
610 Posts
thanks for the info

about 8 years ago cox cable was running new lines under ground about a month after i had a surge the make everything electrical FUBR i was renting i called va power they sent out someone to inspect the apt building (i was not the only one) they sent me a letter stating cox cable had knicked a power line feeding the apt building causing corrosion on the wiring i then called cox cable and made them buy all new applianced for me and the apt. they said it was not there fault i fax a copy of the signed letter to them they paid me the next day. long story but after that i use surge protectors on all electronics

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Got Monster power supply for the TV and all ellectronics to go along. If ever a surge hurts anything pluged into it they pay for the new electronics. It is also supposed to give you a cleaner picture as well(cant tell need glasses anyhow) because it filters the electricity and levels any ups and downs in power. Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts