Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No politics here, just a vent. We moved to Poquoson a couple of years ago for a number of reasons, one of which was the extremely low crime rate. well, last night, someone broke into my father-in-law's car, then our garage and our van parked in the garage. Luckily they didn't come into the house. It has shattered our sense of safety and gone are the days when we didn't lock our doors or worry if we left the garage door open or the car unlocked. Apparently this was part of a crime spree last night as 15-16 homes were hit. Didn't lose much--approx. 60 in cash and a nice purse I bought my wife a year ago. No credit cards, driver's license etc. I hope they catch the SOB's and throw the book at them.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Thankfully your losses were minimal and you guys were not hurt. Sounds as if an alarm system for the house may be in your future.

CZ

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully your losses were minimal and you guys were not hurt. Sounds as if an alarm system for the house may be in your future.

CZ
That and a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That and a shotgun.
Alarm system might fit the bill......shotgun, not a good "in home" defense weapon....too large, not easy to manuver in close.....38 revolver might be better suited for home protection....

Did you guys even know they hit you before daylight?

Can't shoot what you can't see grasshopper:eek:

Glad nobody was hurt. Probably teens.....hope they catch em'....

Tony

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have to disagree with the Antman. There is something about the distinct and lovely sound of a round being chambered in a shotgun that would tend to discourage most burglers. You don't have to worry so much about accuracy. Also, a 38 slug would penetrate multiple interior walls. This would be a safety concern for children sleeping in adjoining rooms. A shotgun such as a Mossberg 410 has a very short stock which makes it very manuverable. It also has a spreader choke that gives a wide field of fire at short distances which are most likely to be encountered in defending a home. It is also very easy to mount a tactical light on a shotgun verses a handgun.....good for hands-free operation. This helps in providing identification of who you would like to shoot because it is such an inconvenience when you shoot a family member by mistake. What a waste of shells.....don't you hate when that happens?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I have to disagree with the Antman. There is something about the distinct and lovely sound of a round being chambered in a shotgun that would tend to discourage most burglers. You don't have to worry so much about accuracy. Also, a 38 slug would penetrate multiple interior walls. This would be a safety concern for children sleeping in adjoining rooms. A shotgun such as a Mossberg 410 has a very short stock which makes it very manuverable. It also has a spreader choke that gives a wide field of fire at short distances which are most likely to be encountered in defending a home. It is also very easy to mount a tactical light on a shotgun verses a handgun.....good for hands-free operation. This helps in providing identification of who you would like to shoot because it is such an inconvenience when you shoot a family member by mistake. What a waste of shells.....don't you hate when that happens?
The only problem with a tactical light is that it will reveal you as a target before you can acquire an intruder as a target.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with you on that one. Just let them hear you pump a load into the chamber and they will get the heck out as fast as they can. I had a buddy do just that and they ran out of the house faster than he could have believed. I know how you feel I've had a car stolen, broken into several times, office broken into (twice), my home broken into at 4:00 am while all was home, and a few other thing done. Its a shame that our system just keeps putting them back out as fast as they come in. You can steel a car run from the police and only get probation and do this several times before you will ever see any real time in jail. Until we start locking these people up for first offences we will continue o see the problems and the worst part is that the parents don't even care. When my truck was stolen the kid was 18 and was out waiting trial for steeling another car. His proud father was there trying to talk the judge out of jail time but the judge hit him with a year time. If that was me my father would have said good luck and see ya when you get out.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The only problem with a tactical light is that it will reveal you as a target before you can acquire an intruder as a target.
Good point. Some of those lights are pretty bright.... hopefully enough to momentarily blind the intruder. Of course you can leave the light off and hope for the best.

I have only had the misfortune of having something stolen from my home once. The items were taken by a cousin who was installing some drywall in a storage area. He needed work and we were trying to help him out. It was not a good feeling. I have always felt that my home was a refuge from the rest of the world and it was very disturbing to have that sense of safety and peace broken.

NJ, I am very sorry this happened to you. You can replace items that were stolen but it is hard to restore your peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
NJ, if your wife's purse contained personal info such as ssn#, dob, etc. she might want to contact the 3 major credit bureaus and have her ssn# flagged.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Luckily, the purse was one of those "party" purses that women occasionally use 'cause they go with the outfit (I guess--because if I really knew that,it would make me a ****), so it only had some cash in it. She usually carries the one with all the ID and cards, but by a stroke of good fortune it happened to be inside as opposed to in the car where she usually leaves it (not anymore).

Looks like the Poquoson police are out in force :)D ). Prb. more excitement than they have had in a while.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Maybe my problem is I'm from Prince Georges County Maryland:eek:
Loading a round in a shotgun "SOUNDS" good.......but if someone is in your house and they mean business....I don't want to have something that sounds good......is cumbersome for one and could be taken away for two......I want something small, convenient, safe and that will fire multiple rounds in succession..........and as far as shooting family.....you know where they are, or should be.........
In the middle of the night I'm in bed.......revolver, speedloader and your'e ready.......

I asked my wife once....."do you take the phone to bed with you at night"..........
she responded...."for what, I don't have anybody to call after I go to bed"........
My response....."what are you gonna do if somebody breaks in here".........

That's livin' in PG:(

If I lived on a farm and the "intrusion" was on a property thing.......Shotgun;)

Tony

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
TH, and BC.......my first line of defense is my buddy "JOKER" (male rottie) to DISTRACT;) the intruder.....if he/she wants more after dealing with that........FINE I'll shoot em':cool:

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
NJ that happens about every 10 years or so. a group of kids gets bored so they go looking for trouble. I also find it interesting that this "crime sprees usually occur during breaks from school. Either college or High. Jim is right. The cops probably already know who it is they just need to prove it.

The first few years I lived in my house, everytime I would see a group of youths walking the street in front of my house, I would grab the ole shot gun and walk to my fence with it. I would make sure they saw the Shotgun. I would then open the fence and call my dog. He would usually run full speed right at them stopping just before the road and barking his azz off. (That was entertaining at times. Many a dropped soda.:D ) I would corral my dog and I would put him and the gun in the truck and ride around the block. I figure they would remember the crazy sumavitch with the gun and the dog and leave the house alone.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
A corporate security expert spoke to a group of us quite a few years ago. His suggestions were:
1. A pump shotgun. As has been said the pumping of a round in the chamber is the real deterent as most burglaries result from the search for items to sell to feed a drug habit.
2. A good security system with intrusion and fire included.
3. A list with pictures of the property and receipts where feasible kept in a bank deposit box.
4. Light and music timers which turn them on and off at the usual awake times.
5. ALWAYS stop mail when traveling, also newspaper if appropriate.
6. This is my own: talk to your neighbors about watching your house and you do the same for them. My neighbor in CA caught 2 breakins ..... cops nailed them on my property and they went to prison.
Hope this helps and I am glad you were uninjured but I know the feeling of helplessness from having your space violated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts