Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the perch moved out to deeper water from this area. I didn't catch any. I do have one more area I want to check out. This is the area I fish from shore/pier. You might find this interesting.----- Oxford, MD on the Tred Avon River
First Port of Entry on the Eastern Shore retains the charm of a by-gone era
Boats at peace, with a soothing view across the Tred Avon from within the breakwater at Bachelor Point Marina.
Approaching Oxford from the Chesapeake Bay, ships pass by Sharps Light then enter the mighty Choptank avoiding the shoals off Blackwalnut Point. It is always at this place that my memories of Michener's Chesapeake are most vivid, with images of native Americans watching the birds smash oysters on the shore, thereby getting the idea that there may be tasty morsels inside. The expanse of the Choptank before it turns to starboard toward Cambridge is impressive. Just there, between Benoni Point and Castle Haven, the Tred Avon meanders to the North. Entering the River with its majestic estates and deep water channel is like entering a lovely secret garden.
Oxford is no ordinary place. This is a very special destination indeed. It has an authenthic colonial feel established in 1683 that is unspoiled by globalized commerce. In 1684, only Annapolis and Oxford were recognized as ports of entry for commerce on Chesapeake Bay, so Oxford became a bustling center of trade, with tobacco as the primary export. With the American Revolution, this era ended and was not to resume until the 1800s when commercial oyster fishing entered the scene. It has not changed much since.

Oxford is much smaller and quieter than St. Michael's. By the way, did I mention that it is a sailing destination, with rarely a power vessel in sight? http://cruising.coastalboating.net/Destinations/NE-US/Chesapeake/Pix/BachPointBoats.jpg

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
They are moving deeper. I've been picking them up from the boat on structure in 15 to 20 feet of water. We kept 14 nice ones for the pan on Monday and my brother caught a 12 incher on Tuesday in around 20 ft. of water

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No more boats for me. I will have to go after the winter fish that come up the river, like crappie, pickerel, yellow perch, and wait for spring spawning white perch, and rockfish coming up the river.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts