Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Not to De-Rail the .243 thread but I am 54 and have a shoulder seperation injury that keeps reaccuring. I have shot my 760 30-06 gamemaster for 35 years (deer, bear, antelope, mule deer) but it's now weighing on me. Won a CZ 452 (Don't need another .22) at a raffle and am thinking of trading for a rifle that would be easy on the shoulder. What caliber do you think I should be looking at? My friends and son are pushing me towards a 7mm-08 but have never shot any lower calibers. I have shot my whole life, shot placement is not a problem and probably would be easier at lower recoils. Any of these lower calibers be effective on bear, mule deer? (of course I realize you can kill with a .22) Thanks in advance for your repleys, Paul

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Wow this is kind of a tough one for me. First off for big game you need big heavy bullets. just about all of these have substantial recoil. Any cali9ber from .243 to .270 is good for deer with minimal recoil. The 25-06 is a pretty good choice for all around hunting. I'm a little partial to the .243 just because it seems to shoot well in any gun or any load. Also the good old 30/30 is a good choice for deer hunting when recoil is a concern. The 7mm-08 is great but might be a little stiff on recoil as it feels the same as a .308 to me. I'd start with the 25-06 and see if you can handle more or need less. Don't overlook the .257 either. After thinking about this more, if you can handle the .308 than don't look any further.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Another idea would be to try some of the " Low Recoil " ammo by Federal or " Managed Recoil " by Remington in your 30-06. I've been shooting some of the Federal ammo in a .308 T/C pistol and it works fine. Add one of the new sims recoil pads and that might help as well.

The reason I mentioned the sims pad is because I just shot my .308 T/C pro hunter for the 1st time and it has the sims pad. I've been shooting a 7mm08 Rem. Model 7 and like Russ D mentioned the .308 Pro Hunter actually seems to kick less both shooting regular ammo. Obviously the .308 is heavier but that sims pad is sweet.

Russ

·
Registered
235 Posts
Less recoil

Browning BAR 25-06 semi-auto less recoil. Anything like 25-06, .257, also look at a .260 cal. Whitetail, mulies, and black bear shouldn't be a problem. You could also have a muzzle brake installed on a larger caliber gun by a smith. I have two 25-06's one semi and one bolt. The knock down power is awesome!:eek:

My brother who passed away at age 64, killed a many of deer with a Browning BAR .243.
BTW I'm 51
J.T.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
If I had a ligitmate reason like yours I think I'd buy an Ar-15 in the .308 caliber. Bushmaster and DPMS both make good weapons. Although discounted by some these rifles make awesome deer killers and tame recoil to very tolerable levels. Plus it'll pi$$ off a liberal. Although I prefer bolts some semi's can give acceptable accuracy and reliability. I would'nt however use for for bear hunting.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
What about to switching to something like the Thompson "handguns" or maybe the Remington XP if it's still made.

This way you could still get the rifle power and accuracy without having all of the shoulder impact.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Maybe you should stick with the 30.06 and try a gas operated semi-auto (Rem 7400 - Browning BAR). Perceived recoil is definitely lower, and if necessary, you could add the reduced recoil loads. Also, the lightest grain bullets you could get away with would probably be easier on your shoulder. I've been shooting an old Rem 740 in 30.06 for years, and accuracy is not an issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the twist rate on your 760 Pumpmaster? There were 2 years (can't recall which) that Remington made the 760 in 30-06 with a higher twist rate. I own one, and it kicks noticeably more than the same gun with the slower twist.

I think the 760 kicks like a mule. Noticeably more kick in them than the same caliber bolts, so maybe you could try the same caliber in a different rifle? Recoil reduction has come a long way in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
How could twist possibly effect recoil? Recoil is simply the result of pushing a certain weight projectile at a certain speed. Rate of twist does'nt effect either of those two things. The only other variable would be rifle weight which dampens the felt recoil at the shoulder.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Let me see if I can dog up some of the articles on them. There were quite a few articles written on these exact rifles with the different twist. Don't know all the physics behind it, but I can tell you I've shot them side by side, and they do kick more.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a scoped .243 SAKO Forester (pre Garcia) available if anyone is interested. 100 rnds through it. Pretty rifle just don't have a place to shoot. Not cheap but a sweet rifle. Have the die and primed cartridges available. Bmail me if interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CHCLTLABZ, I'll tell you what.....there's no way I would know what the twist would be. I bought that gun back in 1971!!! (How ancient am I ?) I do remember paying $110.00 dollars, PLUS I had a coupon for $25.00 off any firearm at a place called Two Guy's when it was going out of business. Things like that you don't forget. One other reason is that I went down to Georgia hunting last year (private club) and when I pulled the anchor out of the case, all the guys looked at me like "is that what you are going to use?"... Looks old but shoots awesome. A lot have guy's exressed an auto loader but I can't use that here in Pa. Guess I'm still up in the air about change. Thank's for keeping the thread going, Paul

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I live close to the border of PA in Manchester MD. If you wanna try a 25-06 let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
All I can think of is rate of twist affects which weight bullet a gun can shoot accurately. Maye it was just a case of heavier bullet= more recoil. Same ammo in same rifle would have to make same amount of recoil unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Today visited the local gun shop and he listened and the recommended a muzzle brake.....Any experiences?? Was told the recoil would drop to a .243 with same or better accuracy. About $200.00...

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
It's gonna be loud and will still kick a little more than a .243 but it will help alot. No reason not to try it. But for 200$ I'd just put a little more into a new rig.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Russ, You're right about the loud.... I probably want a new rifle but if I got one, I'd probably never use the 06 again. My sons 30 and a cop. He has a safe full of guns... The only reason that I was in the shop was cause he's buying another shotgun or as he calls it, a turkey gun. He shots a bird every year with his other 3 shotguns, I mean you can only shoot one gun at a time. I don't know, maybe I'll try the break first on the gun I really love even though it's ancient, and if it's not what I expected, I'll let my son add it to his safe( if there's room). Thanks for the posts!!!! Now, what can you tell me about flats fishin'?? I'm gonna be new at that this year! Thanks again, Paul

------------------------------------
06 Robalo R220/ F250
Locust Point

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Wow that's an open book subject with me. I could show you better than I could tell you. When are you planning on going? Ill b-mail you my cell number. I'd much rather tell you then type 4 pages.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Weatherby Youth Compact .243

Got it in time for his birthday Wednesday, it did however eat me up on the shipping 2nd day air @ $86.00. I did not like the scope mounts and rings that came with it, replaced them with Leopold extended rings and 2 piece bases. Also did not like the fit of the youth stock to the reciver and barrel on the left side, it was a little tight. The adult stock fits up good. With everything said it did alright with the Simmons scope (that came with it) and the youth stock. A one hole (.6") 3 shot group at 100yds off the bench rest using Hornady factory 100gr. ammo. Not too bad for a out of the box gun and ammo. My boy loves it!:clap:

Sorry for kind of Hi-jacking this thread mine was so far down, just didn't want to bring it back alive!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts