Registered
4,025 Posts
.6" at 100 yds out of the box!?

DON'T GET NO BETTER.

:jackthread: sorry

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just finished reading an article about the reduced recoil loads for .30-06 and .308. The author put them in the same area as a .30-30 with regard to felt recoil. He stated that the bullet drop was considerable compared to his standard loads (about 9" lower at 100 yds with his regular load setting on his scope), but accuracy was good enough for deer hunting - about 1.5" average.
I'd certainly give those loads a try before I added a muzzle brake to a prized old gun.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I doubt reduced recoil loads would function and feed correctly in an autoloader that reloads on recoil.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Duh, for some reason I thought that was the autoloader. I'm sure they would work in the pump.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Benelli Auto

get yourself one of the new Benelli Semi-Auto Rifles in .270 Win, it has about the same percieved recoil as a 22-250 bolt action and will kill anything you mentioned. I bought one last year and it is awesome. Stay away from the BAR with the BOSS system unless you are already deaf.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all the advise on auto loaders but we can't use them here in PA. Of course if the game commission stays the course with our deer management program, my guess is we won't have anything to shoot at in 3 years or so. Paul

----------------------
06 R220 Robalo F250
Locust Point

·
Registered
31 Posts
This past year I bought a .270 short magnum (Savage) with the adjustable trigger (which is very nice!) - accurate and plenty of gun for deer, etc. I watched my son bag two deer with it and both were typical chest shots/two steps/dead deer.

fc

21 - 29 of 29 Posts