Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone help me, I want to use my boat at the CBBT this winter for the first time, and do not want to winterize my motor or boat. I have a 24' Sea Chaser with a 250 Suzuki 4 stroke. Are there any precautions I should take to protect from freezing. I have no inside storage available. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Bill D

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Winterize all the water systems on your boat (washdown, head, freshwater, etc). Keep the bow of the bow up on the trailer to help rain water drain from the boat. Keep the motor straight up and down to let water drain out of the motor. Keep fuel stabilizer in your tank. Bring jumper cables or a battery charger with you incase the cold weakens your batteries.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
To my knowledge, outboard motors drain water when put in the down position and dont require any winterization..........I have a 20hp Merc. that I never do a thing too besides flush the motor after every trip and start it up about once every month.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
B-Faithful has it right!
also make sure all of your bait wells, scuppers and any other place where water can gather is dry or use antifreeze to protect them after EVERY use.

each time i take the boat out of the water in the colder months i make sure i take the "RV" antifreeze and pour a bit into each scupper and drain line.

it is cheap insurance!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Winterize : bah-humbug!

I do not winterize my boat, as there is only three months between the end of Fall Rockfish Season and the beginning of Spring Trophy Season. Besides, it is fun going out on the river in January, February and March, as you basically have the whole river/Bay to yourself!

I drain the outboard after using by lowering the motor and letting all the water drain out (and of course, flushing with freshwater). Sometimes raising it and lowering it a few times helps to get more water out of all the passages. Leave the motor in the DOWN position while storing.

You should STILL USE fuel stabilizer even though you are not winterizing it. Use the Stabil GREEN Ethanol fuel stabilizer mix, and add before the last two trips, so that the stabilizer has a chance to work its way throughout the entire fuel system. If you have a fuel/water separator, drain all the water out of that before storing.

Other than that, you might want to store the batteries off the boat in a warm(er) area to aid in ease of tending/charging. OR you could run the boat every couple of weeks to keep the fluids viscous and batteries charged (that's what I do!)

You would be AMAZED at how clear the water is in February, you can see 5-6 feet deep!

YMMV,

-makoman

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Welcome to the club! As said, just get the water out of your motor after each trip, and keep it trimmed down when not transporting so that rainwater doesn't collect in your hub and then freeze, and you're done. After I flush, I usually take the garden hose off the hose it attaches to on the motor and blow into it before screwing it back on to fitting. It definitely clears water out of the lines that otherwise doesn't drain with the motor down.

I'll add that if you don't make it to CBBT or otherwise use the boat every few weeks, wouldn't be a bad idea to run it on the muffs for 15 minutes between trips.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I never really winterize either

About this time every year:

Replace lower unit oil
Change Fuel filter
Change Spark Plugs
Add a fuel stabilizer at every fill up
Decarb
One last good wash and wax if there's time
may do the impeller this year, getting close to 100hrs on current one

After each trip:

pour some pink anitfreeze in livewells drains, storage drains and bilge
flush motor
tilt motor all the way down
remove dock lines and life vests so they don't freeze

If I go 3 weeks without fishing I'll at least run the motor for a bit.

It's worked for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Does not winterizing effect warranty in any way?
Providing you have a warranty?

Let's say there are 4 weeks in a row you can't go due to weather, shd you spray any fog in there?

Thx
Only way I would think it would affect the warranty is if you didn't drain the motor and cracked something.

I wouldn't be to worried about 4 weeks. Wouldn't hurt to run it for a few minutes on a hose but I'm not sure if thats even necessary. Mine has sat longer then that in the winter with no problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont winterize at all anymore. Just run it every couple of weeks in the winter. I do recommend tilting the engine up and down a few times to drain out all the water. I'm always amazed by the amount of water that comes out after i tilt up then down again. The main advantage of not winterizing (for me anyway) is smelling that 2-stroke smoke in the middle of winter. Brings back good memories!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Makoman has good advice when he said:
Sometimes raising it and lowering it a few times helps to get more water out of all the passages. Leave the motor in the DOWN position while storing.
Let me add
If its the suzuki with the hose attachment for flushing the motor without running, open it up as you tilt up and down.
fishboy

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
The only thing I do to winterize my outboards is make sure they are tilted all the way down and have fuel stabilizer run through them. I pull the plugs and spray fogger in the holes and turn it over with the kill switch pulled. I try to keep my fuel tanks full.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts