Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the lines in around 8am, after getting all the lines out we started to head south and zigzagged between 70' and 95'. Skip thanks for the info about the crab pots in the morning, almost got into them:eek2: On a similar subject, what are the blue and white jugs on both sides of the channel?

Ok, about 45 minutes after the last line was in put in a planner line went off. My buddy Chris (from work) was all over it, grabbed the ride and started reeling. Unfortunately the fish was allread off:censored: Reeled it in (green single) and Chris combed the hair out and I put it back out. About an hour later another planner line went off and this fish was pulling out some drag. Once again Chris was on it and the long fight started. Finally got the fish heading in our direction and about 30' from the boat the fish decide to jump, this was enough to make a grown man cry :bigfish::bigfish: and then the line went slack. Chris said he probably didn't keep enough pressure on him.

Well the hard decision of whether to put the green single or Chris out of the boat was tough, but I was determined to get him a big fish. So I had him comb the hair and I put the bucktail bak out. I also decided to replace a white/blue single with a 10oz green mojo. Well this turned out to be money, 45 minutes later it go hit. Chris was back on the rod and the fighting the fish, a couple of minutes later this was boated

After another 30 minutes we decide to make the long bouncy ride back to BPM. All in all it was a good day, the mission of putting Chris on his largest fish was accomplished!!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Nice catching:thumbup: One thing I always do with newbies who I think have never reeled in a trophy fish, is explain to them how to manage the fish on the other end of the line. I often reitterate this message throughout the day. I explain, that when a fish of that size hits a lure with that size hook, possibly going the oposite direction of the trolled bait, that the hook often tears a sizable hole in the fishes mouth and you CANNOT give that fish any slack. If in doubt, just hold the rod tip up and ask for instruction. Usually when explained about the Hole made by the hook, most newbies get it, and I have had very few lost fish.

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
The jugs most likely are Eel pots.WTG getting your friend a nice Rock :clapping2::clapping2:.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I explained to him. But the excitement of the moment and seeing the fish come out of the water got the best of him. What helped was the next fish I was able to show him the hole that is created by the hook/fight.

Never thought about the eel pots, thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ken - congrats on the fish. Wish I could of made it out with you. Looks like you had a good time and caught a nice fish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The big fish that got away..

Yea- Ken was right it was a :bigfish: that got away at the last minute, I wanted to jump in after it, but I figured he'd out swim me anyway. But it was still fun bringing in his little brother... I will say now that Bay fishing is very addictive :D, and there are a lot of good folks on this site with lots of experience and great stories... happy fishing to the Tidal Fish Crew :fishing2:

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts